Fossil Id Quiz!

Pool Man

Hello all! I've always wanted to do a "guess this fossil post". I get my inspiration from Harry Pristis's quiz Posts that made me do some research and learn something new. So, I hope I have my ID correct and here it goes....

This fossil was found by me in the caloosahatchee shell beds in North Port FL. There is usually lots of clay in the deeper layers of the shells, This bone was found in a whiteish colored clay that I usually associate with late pliocene.

post-148-1250815581_thumb.jpg post-148-1250815587_thumb.jpg

post-148-1250815592_thumb.jpg post-148-1250815933_thumb.jpg

There is a living cousin to this animal in Florida today.

Thanks for looking!

Dan

Looks like part of an avian pelvis; more specifically, part of the synsacrum.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

We'll that didn't take long, lol! Thats it. Care you guess at the group of birds? There is a fairly famous find of dozens of these guys in a shell pit with in 15 miles of where I found this.

Dan

Guest Smilodon
We'll that didn't take long, lol! Thats it. Care you guess at the group of birds? There is a fairly famous find of dozens of these guys in a shell pit with in 15 miles of where I found this.

Dan

Phalacrocorax fillyawi - extinct cormorant

Correct!! Or at least it confirms my ID :) . there is a great set of pics in the book "Vertebrate fossils:A neophyte's guide" of cormorant parts from Sarasota county

Correct!! Or at least it confirms my ID :) . there is a great set of pics in the book "Vertebrate fossils:A neophyte's guide" of cormorant parts from Sarasota county

Cool fossil, P-Man; I dig it!

Where would I go about getting this book?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Funny, I actually have that book sitting on my leg where I was looking through it 5 minutes ago.

Very nice fossil, Dan. I didn't know what it was, so the topic helped edumicate (:P) me. Can't wait for more of these.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

I found it at the venice shark tooth fest it was written by Frank Kocsis.

Oh, and just so you're not disappointed...There's only about 2 pages that actually has info on birds in the book.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Got mine for $15.00 on ebay awhile back

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Archived