Inner part of something, or worm?

BuddingPaleo

Found 2 of these, identical in size, in sw Florida. What the heck are the wormy things? Is it internal bits, or worm casts? It's really hard to find online because I lack the terms to use to search effectively. Really appreciate all your amazing help lately. Hopefully I don't get the boot for too many questions! :blink: lol

20180607_113226.jpg

20180607_113501.jpg

20180607_113543.jpg

It looks like a sponge boring that has filled with sediment and lithified, probably Cliona. The shell that it bored into has dissolved away.

• I found this Informative 5

37 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

It looks like a sponge boring that has filled with sediment and lithified, probably Cliona. The shell that it bored into has dissolved away.

What an interesting fossil!! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very unusual and interesting find. 

And you can't ask too many questions here, we love it and sometimes  we all learn something new too! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks so much guys. Never in a million years would I have guessed sponges left segmented tubes like that! Very nifty. And learned 2 new words. :) you guys rock! (Pun not intended, it snuck in lol)