Could it be cut sections of fossilised tree trunks?

Americo

During a visit to a stream between Empangeni and Eshowe in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa (we found a series of circles on mudstone. I wonder if they are cut sections of fossilized tree trunks. Below there are two photos for your perusal.

Thank you in advance for any information or personal opinion.

Regards,

Americo Bonkewitzz, PhD

circle on mudstone_2_B.jpg

circle on mudstone_1_B.jpg

They are not wood. Most likely some iron concretions/nodules

I agree that these are bisected concretionary structures.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

They look geologic to me. Regards and welcome to TFF:).

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

I see iron and sulfur concretions as well. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Here is one that was not sheared in half:

~~.jpg

If you pick it up, you will find that it is an irregular sphere, and if you split it, you will see the same cross-cut pattern.

That strata was laid down in a very anoxic environment, rich in sulfur and iron. I would love to know its age...could be near the Permian/Triassic boundary!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm not a geologist, but I suppose that it might be something in the realm of volcanogenic material (volcanogenic sandstone - dolerite - clay_ line), so I agree with the others. :)

" Rydalvale, at Ukulu Properties (Pty) Ltd., Empangeni: A black montmorillonitic clay loam to clay, about 40 cm thick, on moderately porous yellowish brown weathering dolerite. This soil series represents 1,7% of the industry's soil (Beater1). " - in P. K. Moberly, 1972.

7-detail-of-volcanogenic-sandstone-with-permian-sandstone-clasts-650x488.jpg.2b7c57dc82d1aef4420ceff9fe7cbac4.jpg8-detail-of-permian-sandstone-clasts-below-sandy-bay-road.jpg.2a8355551dc3a3fea132a7aed55ddaac.jpg

pictures from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library