Pointy or chisel

JohnBrewer

It’s Father’s Day in the U.K. soon and I’ve been asked by one of my older daughters what I would like and I’ve opted for a new estwing. Shall I go pointy or chisel? I hunt in a variety of places both errr rock hard to soft shale. My existing hammer is chisel but I’ve never really used that end. My current hammer won’t be carried with a the hammer. Weight in the bag will be used for fossils not equipment!

I used the chisel end for years. Didn't know what I was missing until I got some pointed end ones.

They are what I use almost exclusively now. 

And get a hammer holster. No need for having the hammer in your bag. ;) 

019374132392.jpg

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I've never had a need for a pointy end and don't usually need a chisel end either. My main kit is an Estwing 2lb club hammer with various chisels (mostly small) and bolsters to suit whatever I'm likely to come across. 

Tarquin

4 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I used the chisel end for years. Didn't know what I was missing until I got some pointed end ones.

What am I missing? :D What sorts of rock are you usually hitting? (I've got a holster but it pulls my trousers down... :blush:)

Tarquin

I'll second Fossildude's comment about the holster. I prefer the style below. I found my hammer kept falling out of the top of one like Fossildude's.  As far as pick vs. chisel....I have one of each. If you are digging or working in soft rock like chalk, the pick end is perfect. If you are working in sheety rock like shale and splitting layers, then the chisel end is best.

holster.JPG

9 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Ditto, on all.

If you need a chisel (it's mostly used when it is important to place the blow accurately), bring a chisel. The pick-end head is quite versatile for all other uses.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

20 minutes ago, TqB said:

I've never had a need for a pointy end and don't usually need a chisel end either. My main kit is an Estwing 2lb club hammer with various chisels (mostly small) and bolsters to suit whatever I'm likely to come across. 

A sledge/crack hammer will definitely strain your belt and britches. :P 

I am using mine for shales, mudstones, and soft limestones. 

If I encounter harder dolostone or limestone, I have the crack hammer and chisels. ;) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I use both, depending on the type of outcrop. Come on it's only a couple of pounds more if you take both. Depends on what kind of damage you want to do on what kind of rock. I'd say you must actually know best yourself by now.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

8 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

A sledge/crack hammer will definitely strain your belt and britches. :P 

I am using mine for shales, mudstones, and soft limestones. 

If I encounter harder dolostone or limestone, I have the crack hammer and chisels. ;) 

Soft limestone is a luxury I rarely encounter. :D 

I can see I'll have to get one for mudstones though. B)

Tarquin

1 minute ago, Ludwigia said:

Depends on what kind of damage you want to do...

...to your back.

^_^

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

46 minutes ago, Auspex said:

Ditto, on all.

If you need a chisel (it's mostly used when it is important to place the blow accurately), bring a chisel. The pick-end head is quite versatile for all other uses.

I second that. I have a pick-end and chisels and they work like a charm. Pointy end is Extremely useful.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

FWIW, I've not had much use for a broad-ended chisel, if only because the rock I usually work is tough and does not always have apparent bedding planes. I actually use a 5 lb sledge with wedge point to tease out the planes, and then use a pointy chisel to concentrate force rather than distribute it. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Alright John, we've established you need a utility belt like Batman to carry all needed tools, that way there is more room in the bag for finds. 

I have both kinds of hammers and have never used the chisel end. Pointy end only and I wear that to a dull nub often.

18 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I use both, depending on the type of outcrop. Come on it's only a couple of pounds more if you take both. Depends on what kind of damage you want to do on what kind of rock. I'd say you must actually know best yourself by now.

I second this

On 6/7/2018 at 3:36 PM, caldigger said:

Alright John, we've established you need a utility belt like Batman to carry all needed tools, that way there is more room in the bag for finds. 

I have both kinds of hammers and have never used the chisel end. Pointy end only and I wear that to a dull nub often.

Wow.. You've either got a lot of hard rock to work on (minerals/lapidary also?) or you do a helluva lot of fossiling! I've never worn the tip of any rock hammer down that far in my life. Guess I could get out more...

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2018 at 3:24 PM, JohnBrewer said:

Thank you all. Pointy has been ordered :) 

I’m late to this thread but I think you made the right choice.  And by the way, I came across this photo recently and thought of you.  Is this similar to what you carry around?  :dinosmile:

Cameras.thumb.jpg.f3856a189e0399d41aa60897f91765a1.jpg

4 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

I’m late to this thread but I think you made the right choice.  And by the way, I came across this photo recently and thought of you.  Is this similar to what you carry around?  :dinosmile:

Cameras.thumb.jpg.f3856a189e0399d41aa60897f91765a1.jpg

Yeah, I thought I can always carry a chisel if needed. Funnily enough the pointy hammer came in useful for climbing a bank last couple of weeks to access a site. 

Yes, they’re the cameras tho I don’t have a tripod that tall. Or maybe it’s a little guy. Cool car! 

From a few years ago, bad quality screen shot tho. 

2609EAC2-F416-452E-988F-6F1A654B44A2.thumb.jpeg.911b43204389e225c981b7936e5c322f.jpeg

22 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Yeah, I thought I can always carry a chisel if needed. Funnily enough the pointy hammer came in useful for climbing a bank last couple of weeks to access a site. 

Yes, they’re the cameras tho I don’t have a tripod that tall. Or maybe it’s a little guy. Cool car! 

From a few years ago, bad quality screen shot tho. 

2609EAC2-F416-452E-988F-6F1A654B44A2.thumb.jpeg.911b43204389e225c981b7936e5c322f.jpeg

Nice photo and nice camera.  I've never worked with 11x14 before but in years past I've been known to go backpacking with 4x5 and even the occasional 8x10 camera.  Here's a photo of me from a few years back.  Alas, I have gone all digital now.

Steve-camera.thumb.jpg.e39b8e61769da4c61a670cdca9b39fd4.jpg

22 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Funnily enough the pointy hammer came in useful for climbing a bank last couple of weeks to access a site. 

Pointy hammers serve multi duty at a tool to help one go up and down scree slopes, making toe and footholds on slopes and ice fields and to make holes for latrines.

BTW, anyone, how does the tallest camera stay upright; I see only two supports? Is it supported by the car?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

3 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

BTW, anyone, how does the tallest camera stay upright; I see only two supports? Is it supported by the car?

The third support is lined up behind the closest one if you look closely. :P 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Archived