Paleocene Turtle Plastron

cowsharks

I found this cool specimen quite a while back in the Paleocene of Maryland and never finished prepping it. I still have a ways to go, especially to reduce the size of the matrix because it is super heavy. This came from a much larger size boulder of matrix. I only saw a tiny piece exposed and kept digging to expose more and break it away from the large boulder. I believe this is a section of plastron from a turtle shell (bottom) from possibly a leatherback turtle. 

15245CB4-3E2E-4100-BA06-6205EFFA5E9B.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Very nice piece! 

Good luck with the prepping and thanks for sharing. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Beautiful specimen! When your done prepping, FOTM material?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

You should enter it for FOTM now, if it is your wish to do so.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

So far I've only found small chunks of fossil turtle shell in Maryland's Paleocene beds. That piece is totally awesome!!! Big congratulations on finding and prepping it.

Cool!!! 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Thanks folks.  I'm having major back issues right now so I'll be doing more sitting than collecting this month which means I should finish prepping it soon.  From the little research I've done, if this is just a small section of the plastron, it's possible that the whole plastron was at least two or three feet wide/long, which means it might have come from a fairly large turtle.  I haven't figured out yet if the "side" that is exposed as shown is the bottom/outside (ventral?) or dorsal side of the palstron.