shemp

North Dakota fossils?

shemp

Hello, 

I will be going to visit kin up in Ottertail county Minnesota over the 4th of July week. 

We are coming up from Florida, and have some relatives towards Ashley/Napoleon as well as in Minnesota

Despite visiting MN/ND repeatedly throughout my life, I know almost nothing about fossil hunting possibilities, aside from the famous Badlands finds...my focus has always been on fishing and such, but my 5 year old is high on fossiling (and has quite a collection from Florida already)

We are flying in from Florida to the Cities and driving out west.  

IF any of y'all have insight on:

1) locations in Western Minnesota or Eastern North Dakota (Jamestown, GF, Fargo, maybe out to Bismarck) to look for fossils

2) locations between Fergus Falls and the Cities

3) guides or trips we could participate in

4) fossil/dinosaur related sites to see in that part of the country

5) tips on applicable laws we should be aware of

...I would be GREATLY obliged

Thanks y'all very much in advance

minnbuckeye
Variety

Tracking the trilobite in St. Paul

With a $10 permit, amateur paleontologists can snoop St. Paul's Lilydale Regional Park for fossils frozen in time before the dinosaurs roamed. A site I have not visited (do not like city living!!) but @GeschWhat has had the opportunity to hunt here.

I live 1.5 hours out of your way south of the twin cities. If you feel like driving down, I could help you out with sites. Ordovician. Also, along the St Croix River NE of St Paul, Cambrian trilobite partials are a possibility but again, not on your direct route.

Not much hunting in western Minnesota.

jpc

The State Museum has a cool hadrosaur mummy.  I think it is in Bismark.

GeschWhat
9 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:
Variety

Tracking the trilobite in St. Paul

With a $10 permit, amateur paleontologists can snoop St. Paul's Lilydale Regional Park for fossils frozen in time before the dinosaurs roamed. A site I have not visited (do not like city living!!) but @GeschWhat has had the opportunity to hunt here.

I live 1.5 hours out of your way south of the twin cities. If you feel like driving down, I could help you out with sites. Ordovician. Also, along the St Croix River NE of St Paul, Cambrian trilobite partials are a possibility but again, not on your direct route.

Not much hunting in western Minnesota.

Unfortunately, fossil hunting is still not allowed at the St. Paul site due to safety concerns. They aren't issuing permits. There is a place to hunt for staurolites in Little Falls, MN. They aren't fossils, but still fun to hunt.

minnbuckeye

@GeschWhat, never heard of these. They are neat looking. Is the location public info?? I found nothing about Little Falls when researching this. We vacation in Brainerd often so our travel takes us through Little Falls. 

Staurolite

GeschWhat

I don't know if it is published, but you can find them below the dam, which is public. If you go, it's best to park on the west side of the dam. It is hard to find a perfect cross, most of what you will find are rods. I haven't been for a while, but I usually screen for them using an old colander. Also, be sure to bring a hand trowel or small shovel to scoop the rock, and watch for broken glass. They will be in the schist, so you can crack rock if you would rather. There are probably other areas along the river up there as well, but I haven't done much exploring.

GeschWhat

Here are some my grandpa found and made into jewelry when I was a kid. They are harder to find now, but if you put in the time you can usually find at least one good one. :)

IMG_7176 (2).JPG

minnbuckeye

@GeschWhat, will give it a try and let you know the results.

shemp

Thanks Guys!!!

Minnbuckeye and GescWhat...what are the crosses you all are posting?  They look cool!

Appreciate the offers and inisight

GeschWhat

They are called staurolites :)