Crinoid calyx, how should it be prepared?

Miocene_Mason

I got my hand on a Crinoid calyx from somewhere in Texas (no location attached other than creek), and I’d like to know if this should be prepped any more, and if it is worth seeking professional help (I certainly can’t do it yet). It’s around four inches (I think, it’s not with me right now). Thanks for any advice!

A7A94912-6CB2-4870-9B77-5D1B4C7C6CF5.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Ive never done any of these, but from the picture it looks like parts may need some stabilization, and then some kind of air abrasion.  Depends on how hard the fossil is compaired to the hardness of the rock.  Hopefully the rock is softer than the fossil.  that would make for an easy prep.  Good luck.

RB

Looks like you could very well have a complete crown there under the matrix, so I would say that it would be worth giving it to a profi.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

57 minutes ago, RJB said:

Ive never done any of these, but from the picture it looks like parts may need some stabilization, and then some kind of air abrasion.  Depends on how hard the fossil is compaired to the hardness of the rock.  Hopefully the rock is softer than the fossil.  that would make for an easy prep.  Good luck.

RB

Yeah, I’m not sure yet how the matrix is gonna be. I think this will be a job for the pro. Thanks for your assessment!

19 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Looks like you could very well have a complete crown there under the matrix, so I would say that it would be worth giving it to a profi.

I hope very much so! That’s one vote for a pro prep, and I am leaning towards it as well. Thanks for your input!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice specimen, definitely worth a bit of prepping.

I think i'd just start off with a pin-vice, some of that matrix looks like it's ready to flake off quite easily. 

But proceed with caution, of course! :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice specimen, definitely worth a bit of prepping.

I think i'd just start off with a pin-vice, some of that matrix looks like it's ready to flake off quite easily. 

But proceed with caution, of course! :D

Thanks, it was labeled as “plant fossel” (his typo not mine), obviously the full potential of this piece was not recognized! 

Yeah, I just don’t want to flake off the fossil! 

Happy hunting,

Mason

Looks pretty nice! I have prepped a lot of crinoids from the Bangor Limestone fm in Alabama that look pretty much identical matrix wise to this one. This matrix is a lot softer than most Bangor matrixes, so looks pretty easy. Should be able to scribe away a lot of the extra matrix and then finish off with an air abrasive. Gotta be careful on these though to not have pieces start popping off. Most of the time they are pretty stable, but with this softer type of matrix they pop off a lot easier than the harder ones. 

On 6/8/2018 at 6:41 PM, holdinghistory said:

Looks pretty nice! I have prepped a lot of crinoids from the Bangor Limestone fm in Alabama that look pretty much identical matrix wise to this one. This matrix is a lot softer than most Bangor matrixes, so looks pretty easy. Should be able to scribe away a lot of the extra matrix and then finish off with an air abrasive. Gotta be careful on these though to not have pieces start popping off. Most of the time they are pretty stable, but with this softer type of matrix they pop off a lot easier than the harder ones. 

This was what I was going to say. Put it under a microscope and scribe away what you can then abrade the rest. Definitely looks complete.

On 6/8/2018 at 7:41 PM, holdinghistory said:

Thanks for the advice! This is the first decent crinoid calyx in my collection, so I’m quite pleased. I’m also glad to hear they are  usually stable, one less worry. I don’t have an air scribe, and I don’t think I’m ready to invest in one yet. Perhaps I’ll get the bulk matrix with the scribe and then wait to finish?

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

This was what I was going to say. Put it under a microscope and scribe away what you can then abrade the rest. Definitely looks complete.

Very happy to hear that reinforced, after finding trilo molts I find myself keeping my hopes down when it comes to completeness. I do have a microscope, though not a great one, so I will scratch off some of the excess once it arrives. I don’t own an air scribe though, so I’m trying to think of ways to bypass that.

Happy hunting,

Mason

You can get a scribing pen from Menards. I have one that I bought before I had my air scribes. It has a metal body with a carbide pin. Pin vises can be used too. I have some with diamond encrusted tips that I use occasionally.

18 minutes ago, holdinghistory said:

You can get a scribing pen from Menards. I have one that I bought before I had my air scribes. It has a metal body with a carbide pin. Pin vises can be used too. I have some with diamond encrusted tips that I use occasionally.

I have a scribing pen, just not an air scribe. Will this work?

Happy hunting,

Mason

A poor man's air scribe= a mouth full of abrasive medium and a drinking straw.:P

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

5 minutes ago, caldigger said:

A poor man's air scribe= a mouth full of abrasive medium and a drinking straw.:P

I’ll use that on my poor man’s calyx (it’s just a rock that vaguely resembles a crinoid calyx):)

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 6/12/2018 at 6:19 PM, WhodamanHD said:

I have a scribing pen, just not an air scribe. Will this work?

It should, just takes more time. Be careful with applying pressure. When you use hand tools it can be easy to slip.

Archived