Pierre Shale Nautilus

RJB

My youngest son went to the eastern part of this state, (Montana) to do some paddle fish fishing, (and caught one too!)  and also went on a short day fossil hunt.  He didnt find much, but he did get one great big concretion.  this was inside with part of it hanging on the outside.  He left it here at my house and I did about 20 minutes of rock removal to expose most of it.  I dont mean to take away my sons thunder, but being that I am the "Great Father", there is nothing he can do.  :)   Actually he could easily kick the cowpoop out of me but I dont think he will do that?   Oh, I think this is Eutrephoceras from the Pierre Shale Formation. 

RB

DSCN1626.JPG

DSCN1627.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Lovely specimen. :wub:

I doubt he'll be enraged, somehow. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

A true beauty! Gotta love the nacre.

My dad tells a yarn about seeing someone catch a paddlefish in Pennsylvania, must be a fisherman’s tale...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice one, Ron! :) 

Thanks for showing us. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I will tell my son how much everyone loves this fossil.  Its already at his house now.

RB

15 hours ago, RJB said:

He left it here at my house and I did about 20 minutes of rock removal to expose most of it.  I dont mean to take away my sons thunder,

Your son might just be showing wisdom gained by time and experience.  Now , lets see... what is the best way to separate nautiloid from rock....:D.. Let me set it down over here and the fossil spirits may help.

Nice find.  Are you done with prep?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

4 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Nice find.  Are you done with prep?

Hi Jack.  yeah, this one is done.  I just wanted to take off enough rock for my son so he could see more of the fossil.  Didnt take long

RB