Is this a shark tooth?

JaxRBetter

Hi all, My name Jackie, but my friends call me Jax, and I am visiting Onslow beach from Fredericksburg Va. I joined this forum because I found what looks like a tooth of some kind to me on Onslow beach. The couple I am with are local and have found tons of small black ones on this trip, and they have quite the collection at home as well. The "teeth" I keep finding are identified by my collector friends as "that's a rock". ;)

I found what appears to be a tooth of some kind, and I hope someone can help me ID it. I hope this doesn't become a new obsession, but considering I have spent a valuable hour of beach time researching what may, or may not be a shark tooth I fear it may be too late. Thank you.

Beast Regards, 

Jax

Image.png

Image-3.png

Image-2.png

Image-1.png

29 minutes ago, JaxRBetter said:

I hope this doesn't become a new obsession, but considering I have spent a valuable hour of beach time researching what may, or may not be a shark tooth I fear it may be too late.

We got you now!:muahaha:

This appears to be a crocodile or alligator tooth fossil. Nice find!

And Welcome to the forum from Maryland!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Welcome to TFF and welcome to a new obsession! Congrats, you’ve got a tooth (I agree that it’s alligator or croc)! Keep searching for more wonderful treasures!

I also agree with alligator or croc tooth. I kind of lean more on alligator, but nevertheless is a great find!

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!  WhodamanHD is right...you're doomed to spend the rest of your life staring at the ground a lot! :trex:

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Hello, Jax, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Nice find. 

It's only the beginning............................

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Wow I am so grateful to all of you for the speedy reply as well as the warm welcome! I could not be more pleased. And I believe I am hooked as I did spend a lot of time “looking at the ground “... Lol I had fun though! 

Thanks my friends,

Jax

Thanks all, what do you'll use for the stiff neck that comes with this new obsession?? Lol...

I found something today at Onslow beach NC that looks like some sort of vertebrae... I'll post pictures in a bit. We are leaving the beach now, and I can honestly say I'm going to miss the hunt! Stay tuned... ;)

Just now, JaxRBetter said:

Thanks all, what do you'll use for the stiff neck that comes with this new obsession?? Lol...

I found something today at Onslow beach NC that looks like some sort of vertebrae... I'll post pictures in a bit. We are leaving the beach now, and I can honestly say I'm going to miss the hunt! Stay tuned... ;)

Re the stiff neck, it's fine, one just moans a lot.

It's also useful for constantly looking at the street and finding dropped money. 

But not so good when you walk into lamp posts, walk by where you're going or miss out on a solar eclipse. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Archived