is this real?!? It looks so crazy, and I can't even IMAGINE how this could happen!

Still_human

How could this possibly happen??? How would they eyes be so dark while the rest is barely visible? And not just that, how are the eyes just the silhouettes, and not solid? It's not like they were made of anything different, or different in any other way. They couldn't be have been fossilized in different ways. is this possibly genuine??? I totally trust this persons other stuff, this one just seems so impossible to me.

IMG_6261.PNG

Hm. The eyes look a bit too close, too small, and in the wrong location to belong to a fly or wasp.

Untitled-2-copy.jpg

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Hello my friend @Still_human Welcome to TFF, and receive a warm hug from here of Argentina! :wub:

I don't exclude the possibility of the eyes being painted, or maybe manganese infiltration, but I've never seen an infiltration of manganese like that. Photos more closely is necessary to formulate a more accurate opinion.

But I agree with our friend Kane. These two points can not be eyes, for if they were eyes the typical morphology would be completely wrong! As an example I put here the photo of a wasp discovered in the Yixian Formation, Huangbangi Valley, Beipiao, Liaoning Province, China, Late Jurassic, about 150 million years old that is deposited in my private collection:

image.png.6ef87c927060908c1aef7bf9288aa32d.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Hmmm. 

One of the wings seems to be joined to the head. The other has become slightly detached but may have been joined up there as well. 

if so this would make this the anterior thorax of the creature meaning its head is missing.

So someone drew the eyes on.? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

They look fake to me, never seen a fly with eyes like that. Then again, evolution is a strange beast...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

13 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hmmm. 

One of the wings seems to be joined to the head. The other has become slightly detached but may have been joined up there as well. 

if so this would make this the anterior thorax of the creature meaning its head is missing.

So someone drew the eyes on.? 

If it's a true fossil it's rather bizarre, but I believe the head is there, yes...

image.png.1318e08c4179c128fed6efc0821d9d78.png

image.png.8544828f977ecc6382e27e4ec3bb1cdf.png

03.PNG

Just now, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

If it's a true fossil it's rather bizarre, but I believe the head is there, yes...

image.png.1318e08c4179c128fed6efc0821d9d78.png

Hmmmmmm.:D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

30 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hmmmmmm.:D

Could the wings have moved? But honestly, I don't know if this is real! :rofl:

03.PNG

I was under the impression it was some kind of gnat or something, but I really have no clue. I'd imagine it could just as easily be any other type of insect, maybe even unknown, than one that we know it doesn't seem to look like so would have to be a damaged specimen, or fake. In fact, lightning bugs have heads that look similar to that, with a shield/covering/hat looking thing that extends out beyond the sides of the head. since there's millions of extinct insects that we've never found/seen, and as someone noted, any kind of disformation/disarticulation can happen to fossilizing animals, i wasn't as concerned with the animal itself, just how eyes could possibly fossilize like that, cause if it's not possible, that solves the entire mystery! If crazy eye-fossilizations like that ARE possible, I think it would be a fairly good possibility that weird eye-positioning are as likely. I REALLY want it to be real, both cause I would love to get it, but also cause I would just LOVE for something to truly b as cute and silly looking as that:) 

im trying to decide if it's worth it anyway. That if I KNEW they were fake eyes, maybe I would still like it, for the novelty value, both of what it looks like, and that someone tried that and ended up making it look so silly-----like that old woman who "stole" a very faded painting of Jesus from her church, cause she thought it should be in better shape, to restore it, but absolutely ruined it. Is this the fossil equivalent of THIS.........?

IMG_6263.JPG

20 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Hello my friend @Still_human Welcome to TFF, and receive a warm hug from here of Argentina! :wub:

I don't exclude the possibility of the eyes being painted, or maybe manganese infiltration, but I've never seen an infiltration of manganese like that. Photos more closely is necessary to formulate a more accurate opinion.

But I agree with our friend Kane. These two points can not be eyes, for if they were eyes the typical morphology would be completely wrong! As an example I put here the photo of a wasp discovered in the Yixian Formation, Huangbangi Valley, Beipiao, Liaoning Province, China, Late Jurassic, about 150 million years old that is deposited in my private collection:

image.png.6ef87c927060908c1aef7bf9288aa32d.png

And hello to YOU! Thank you very much for the warm welcome:) a warm hug back from the U.S.

and that is a cool fossil wasp you've got there

I cant explain what those are, but ive found many a mosquito and a few beetles  that had eyes darker than the rest of the bug many times.  Wish i had some photos for examples.    Oops, just found a picture for example. 

RB

snout 001.JPG

When I saw the length of the wings compared to the width of the body my first thought was beetle, so they might not be eyes, rather some sort of decoration on the thorax

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2018 at 11:02 AM, RJB said:

I cant explain what those are, but ive found many a mosquito and a few beetles  that had eyes darker than the rest of the bug many times.  Wish i had some photos for examples.    Oops, just found a picture for example. 

RB

snout 001.JPG

That's very cool! Very detailed. The one in question tho is partly so weird because of how faint the rest of it is, compared to the super-dark eyes. In urs they're with the same range. It looks natural. The one in question just looks crazy!

On 6/13/2018 at 11:08 AM, Taogan said:

When I saw the length of the wings compared to the width of the body my first thought was beetle, so they might not be eyes, rather some sort of decoration on the thorax

That could make sense too, but it would still be weird why they're the only things that fossilized that way

43 minutes ago, Still_human said:

That could make sense too, but it would still be weird why they're the only things that fossilized that way

Not necessarily. There could be a different mineral that replaced the decoration on the body.

But I would say they aren't eyes at all. 

Ever see a dead hornet or wasp? They curl up on themselves. It is likely that the head is actually tucked under the thorax. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

11 hours ago, Still_human said:

In urs they're with the same range. It looks natural. The one in question just looks crazy!

Yeah, I realized that too.  It was the only pic I had.  I use to find mosqeto larva with dark eye balls and faint bodies

RB

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, ynot said:

In the new pictures the circles are on the thorax not the head, so can not be eyes.

Yeah, the 1st one definitely looks off. Second one though, I feel like the 2nd one could be eyes though. I think I may have seen eyes there before

4 minutes ago, Still_human said:

I feel like the 2nd one could be eyes though. I think I may have seen eyes there before

Not in My opinion, the darker circles are on the thorax and eyes are not on the thorax.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Here's an ant with similar dark rings for the eyes. From the University of Colorado website. I'll have to look through my collection to see if I have any.

ant.JPG

On 7/17/2018 at 12:37 PM, ynot said:

Not in My opinion, the darker circles are on the thorax and eyes are not on the thorax.

Yeah, you're definitely right. The eyes should be really close together, way up front, and probably much smaller than those. 

On 7/17/2018 at 12:53 PM, Al Dente said:

Here's an ant with similar dark rings for the eyes. From the University of Colorado website. I'll have to look through my collection to see if I have any.

ant.JPG

The dark circles definitely seem like eyes in this case.

Archived