is this real?!? It looks so crazy, and I can't even IMAGINE how this could happen!

Still_human

I finally had a chance to look through some of my collection. Haven't looked at these in almost 30 years. These are from the radar site at Douglas Pass. A couple of beetles with dark eyes. This site was known as a place to find fossil leaves. I would look through the discarded piles and pick out the insects. Always amazed me that people would throw away nice insects fossils.

30EEA67B-25BE-40F8-8DA6-82BD9479CA84.jpeg

D9276821-FED2-41EC-B726-88564A733951.jpeg

man those eyes, pretty creepy:wacko:.  might be seeing that in my nightmares :blink:.

:trex::trilo::meg:games are fun, but finding fossil is even better!:meg::trilo::trex:

again with eyes :) popular sellers topic :) this really eyes? Do They occupy the right position on animal? Maybe it's the other part of the animal gives  such a mark?

7 hours ago, MiseriKing said:

again with eyes :) popular sellers topic :) this really eyes? Do They occupy the right position on animal? Maybe it's the other part of the animal gives  such a mark?

That's something that a number of people have mentioned. On the original one for this post, which I embarrassedly admit I didn't pay close attention to this detail on, even though theyre very unusual looking positions, seems to NOT be in.....traditional and/or natural positions on the little guy. The fossils people are showing on here however, DO all seem to be eyes.

11 minutes ago, Still_human said:

The fossils people are showing on here however, DO all seem to be eyes.

Not all of them, but some sure do look like they are.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I really want to know what the ones focused on in this thread is, cause eyes or not, if I knew it was at least natural, I'd get it. I think it's adorably silly, but Id want to be SURE it's not faked:/

8 minutes ago, Still_human said:

Fntnw

What does this mean?

8 minutes ago, Still_human said:

really want to know what the ones for this post is, cause eyes or not, if I knew it was at least natural, I'd get it cause I think it's adorably silly, but Id want to be SURE it's not faked:/

I do not see a "faker" adding such an odd and unique feature to a fossil.

All of the pieces posted on this thread look 100% natural to Me.

The only question I can see is "what are those rings?".

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Really? You don't think so? I could TOTALLY see some unscrupulous fossil dealer wanting to make something plain look special. Especially China and Morocco(I just learned how much of a forgery/scam heavy place morocco can be, and China, well.....it's China:/

(I should point out that what I'm referring to is China's well earned reputation of fake, many times laughably, fossils of all kinds....i didn't mean to suggest that there's something wrong with china itself!)

I think that they are real. Notice that the rings have irregular edges and end at the outside edge of the underlying fossil. The black of the rings is blotchy and is not uniformly dark. If someone painted or inked these on you would expect to see a more uniform color with more distinct non irregular edges. If inked on, the rings would have seeped into the surrounding matrix and not stopped at the edge of the fossil.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Well, I definitely don't know the tactics and processes of forging little circles, so for all I know there's stuff other than ink that bleeds. Maybe even just heavy charcoal(wet or not), so I personally can't use little details and clues like those to judge:/ it just overall just looks so...silly. Like someone who's not interested in the fossils themselves, just faking them, picking a place where someone who doesn't know better, would definitely think the eyes went. And seeing some of the uneducated attempts at making fossils better, and just making fossils, after what everyone on

here has pointed out, im just having a hard time getting past that idea. In fact, I can even see the person sitting there adding them on, with a huge pile of "to-do" fossils next to him, and a box full of "finished work" on the floor on the other side lol

thank you though, im happy you not only believe it's real, but have specific reasoning to back it up! You've actually relit the flame of possibility to its authenticity, to me:)

Archived