fossilover

Found in north Fort Hood near Gatesville, TX next to the Leon River.
Unsure of formation. *would love to know if anyone has that info*
Resembles a fish tooth to me, but this one is MUCH larger than any I've ever found (in eastern NC where I live), plus this one seems to have a root attached. It's approximately 3.5cm standing tall, and the "root" is approximately 3cm at its widest point.
Quarter is for size reference.

I googled some globidens images (as someone suggested) but I have not seen any that precisely match my specimen.
For instance, mine does not have any indication of a point or tip. The "enamel" is also completely smooth, and lacks any evidence of striations which were evident in the googled images. It could be, of course, that maybe my specimen is just extremely worn.
Any input is much appreciated!

20180609_174329.jpg

20180609_171933.jpg

I believe that would either be Walnut Clay or Paluxy Sand Formations which are both early Cretaceous.

• I found this Informative 3

Looking like a (pycnodont?) fish tooth to me... 

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

It’s odd looking but I don’t think it’s a fish tooth. The root part looks more like rock than bone.

• I found this Informative 2

Scratching my head, I'm stumped. Certainly not Globidens since mososaurs hadn't even shown up yet. The size is crazy too. Much bigger than any typical pycnodontid tooth from that area.

I want to say it's a pearl still attached to a fragment of shell. Possibly even modern if you actually found it in the river. 

Going to need some help on that one.

Might require in-hand inspection at UT.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

You have NO idea how tempted I am to try and separate the two parts! The pearl suggestion never crossed my mind. My husband found it in TX before he deployed, and I'm in NC. I may have to try and find a contact at UT and email some pictures. Obviously viewing it in person is not an option at this time since I have it here in NC, but I'll see how far I can get. A lot of interesting ideas out there. Thank you for the input so far! 

I doubt photos to anywhere will get you more than guesses, because it looks like several things.  ;)  It reminds me of a phosphate nodule, but again, this will likely take an in hand inspection.  Someone in NC should be able to help you with a local contact.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

@fossilover If you had posted this back before memorial day I would have suggested you bringing it to the Aurora Fossil Festival, to the display hall. There were folks from the Smithsonian and several Universities, along with many NCFC members who could have looked at it. At this point I would suggest you take it to the next meeting of the North Carolina Fossil Club at the N.C. Museum of Natural Science in Raleigh. It is on July 15 at 1 PM. Being your in Siler City, that's not to far away. There will be people there who could help you ID it, including some forum members. You could even join the fossil club! Unfortunately I will not be able to make that meeting, but if you decide to go, let me know through a PM here and I will contact some of the members to be on the "lookout" for you.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Thank you so much, I will definitely try to come!  I'll keep you posted. 

Well said.
I agree with all the above statements and suggestions.
Not saying it's a blister pearl / pearl, but trying to compare the features with that, I can see that the similarities look to be good. It could be something else, like a phosphatic nodule, or other.

20180609_174329.jpg.a67e9acfe91dc62d9e7eb2967ab55bd3.thumb.jpg.1f8bdcece8160f8f7a1ca1aebc005ca5.jpgp1330684blackoysterpearl7.jpg.21dbee215701d67001a06e4a637fa1e0.jpg

comparative picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Been watching and waiting for some one to ask if you have tried to use a red hot needle touch on your specimen?

To me it appears to be a molten and hardened substance. Not fossil at all.

A look at bottom of specimen it appears to have some inclusion stuck in it where substance wrapped around a particle of extraneous material.

All of what others have said have valid reasoning as to their input.

Still, scratch and burn some of it if possible. See if it smokes, some tar is brittle but will still smoke.

Then again it could be a bit of slag, no smoke if it is.

Bone2stone.