I was wondering if someone could help me ID these?

Campanella

Sorry, the images are apparently too large to upload, so here is an imgur link to the photos.

They were found along the banks of the Potomac, in Virginia. I think it's mostly miocene stuff that washes up on that beach, but I'm not sure.

The first is about 4 cm long and 2.5 cm wide; the second, 2.5 cm long and 1 cm wide.

The last set of images is just a clam cast I found on a different beach in the same area - I was wondering if it was possible to identify the species of clam from the cast, but if not that's completely understandable, haha.

Interesting interior casts/molds. These look like bivalves.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

To me the item in the first set of pics looks like a Hyperostosis Tilly bone fossil from a fish. Cool finds!

12 minutes ago, Jazfossilator said:

To me the item in the first set of pics looks like a Hyperostosis Tilly bone fossil from a fish. Cool finds!

Except for the last one. 

I agree with the consensus here. Welcome From Maryland!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, Rockwood said:

?

A tilly bone and bivalve steinkern.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

This is the Bivalve steinkern, some sort of clam, they were never my strong suit. If it is indeed Miocene, perhaps glycemeris sp.

DE7EE8F1-D974-4B1A-B848-453D388C5DFB.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

This is the Tilly bone, unidentifiable beyond fish I believe:

3A92ED1F-EDA7-4FE6-B027-2D9D826031B1.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, Campanella said:

They were found along the banks of the Potomac, in Virginia. I think it's mostly miocene stuff that washes up on that beach, but I'm not sure.

Where about we’re you? You can PM me if you don’t feel comfortable putting it here. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

Oh no, it's fine! I was just at the Stratford Hall beach. I wasn't sure if it was relevant exactly which beach I was at, so I left it out. The clam I found at Westmoreland, though.

And thank you everyone for identifying these! Is the second set of images also a tilly bone?

1VG1UWY.jpg     Qvuqcaf.jpg

7 hours ago, Campanella said:

Oh no, it's fine! I was just at the Stratford Hall beach.

No it's not fine. Unless you had some legal access that I'm unaware of.

Welcome to this forum.:)  I hope you continue to enjoy fossil hunting.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

11 hours ago, Rockwood said:

No it's not fine. Unless you had some legal access that I'm unaware of.

I believe they do have guided trips there every now and again. I hope that that is what was utilized.

19 hours ago, Campanella said:

Oh no, it's fine! I was just at the Stratford Hall beach. I wasn't sure if it was relevant exactly which beach I was at, so I left it out. The clam I found at Westmoreland, though.

And thank you everyone for identifying these! Is the second set of images also a tilly bone?

Both are Miocene, and as others have said it is also a tilly bone. Post any possible fossil anytime, we are quite happy to ID them:)

Happy hunting,

Mason

45 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I believe they do have guided trips there every now and again. I hope that that is what was utilized.

As a public resource it's sort of a responsibility to not encourage collection in off limits sites.

Often it is a matter of proper supervision.   

It's not off-limits. The beach is open to anyone who pays admission to the site, unless they changed the regulations recently, which I'd hope they would tell people since there is nothing barring access to the beach and a path right to it.

I wonder if you're thinking of the roped-off areas, and yes, those do exist. However, there is still a stretch of beach that is available for people to walk around on, and these were found in the section of beach still marked as open access. I appreciate your concern though.

11 hours ago, Campanella said:

I wonder if you're thinking of the roped-off areas

Could be. It was clearly posted from the river.

17 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Could be. It was clearly posted from the river.

Then you definitely are. There is nothing posted on the stretch of beach that is still open access.

Archived