Unidentified Kem Kem thing

Aurelius

Can anyone please assist with an ID on this? It's a large, flat-ish thing, broken into a number of chunks. Two of the bits go together, but the rest doesn't seem to, though I strongly suspect that they were found together (they were sent to me together in a box with a load of random bone fragments). It's large, and very crumbly. It's about ready to fall to bits, so I plan on stabilising it as soon as possible. The inner texture is very distinctive.

I've been trying to think of things it could be. I have very similar chunks around here somewhere, but nothing this big. 

Sorry the pictures are so poor, but it's not very detailed to begin with.

20180609_213811_001.thumb.jpg.62b3ffc59c32e6241366ed1fb00b4e62.jpg

20180609_213844.thumb.jpg.8faa794448e24cf4fe9e11d3308f3f9c.jpg

20180609_213916.thumb.jpg.6c75ac03c9ac506a5102361d69711f78.jpg

I'd say pretty unidentifiable. Though I will say, that I've seen some big flat pieces from Kem Kem before that seem consistent with Spinosaurus dorsal sail spines.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 minute ago, LordTrilobite said:

I'd say pretty unidentifiable. Though I will say, that I've seen some big flat pieces from Kem Kem that seem consistent with Spinosaurus dorsal sail spines.

That would be amazing, although the bone structure is incredibly crumbly, and doesn't look like any Kem Kem dinosaur stuff I've seen before (not that I've seen many sail spines).

It's hard to think of many other things that are suitably large and flat. The only other thing I could think of was a turtle plastron.

Incidentally, I've put this in the wrong category owing to idiocy, so if any admins are reading this and could put it onto the ID group, I'd be much obliged.

5 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Is it bone, looks a bit geologic being so flaky 

I would have said certainly bone or cartilage personally, but only because I couldn't imagine something like that forming geologically. I'll try and get some high quality close-up images later which might be a bit more useful than these poor camera phone images.

I hope it's not geological, since it's just about the only interesting bit in the entire box.

I agree with Troodon, it does not look fossil to Me.

I think it is a calcite vein that is decomposing. (Could be some other mineral though.)

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

Is it bone, looks a bit geologic being so flaky 

1 hour ago, ynot said:

I agree with Troodon, it does not look fossil to Me.

I think it is a calcite vein that is decomposing. (Could be some other mineral though.)

I'm afraid that I think you're right. Here's a couple of close-ups.

PCB_0689.thumb.jpg.f87232433ba0c6a1a8768f9ce44b1768.jpg

PCB_0691.thumb.jpg.81a835c01e7648c3ee8fe75c9ccb516e.jpg

I think I let my imagination run away with me, because it was the only remotely interesting-looking thing in a box that was otherwise pretty much full of junk.

PCB_0697.thumb.jpg.18394f3ce782c79942703cf3d2bd1c0e.jpg

Few rib fragments, some bits of vetebrae, more plain rock, and lots of completely unidentifiable chunks. Oh well, you can't win them all. Thanks for your help.