Calvert Cliff Dweller

Hi guys, I am trying to get more information concerning this once in a lifetime find that a good friend recently gave to me. I believe that this specimen is eagle ray material that my life long friend found back in the 1970s. The two pieces of this specimen were found on the same beach about a YEAR apart. Anyway I thought of know better place to show this once in a lifetime find and get more information on this truly rare specimen.

Regards ,Cliff Dweller 

image.jpg

image.jpg

4 minutes ago, Calvert Cliff Dweller said:

More pics

image.jpg

A year apart ??  ... that 'is' pretty amazing.  It looks like a good match.  Those odds must be long.

Elasmo has a great discussion and examples for comparison....

http://www.elasmo.com/frameMe.html?file=genera/cenozoic/batoids/myliobatis-lc.html&menu=bin/menu_genera-alt.html

Cheers,

Brett

It was at least a year apart. I was with him when he found the second piece. Notice the pathological score on the smooth side they match up perfectly. Both pieces were found as beach float material.

I’ve heard some stories like this but those odds are more than one in a million; we’re getting into the one in a trillions here! Awesome specimen, I often find pieces of course but I’ve yet to find any associated.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Yes, that is definitely Aetobatus.  It's great to find two teeth still together.  It's a miracle to find two partial plates that fit together.

Very nice and truly amazing. And your friend just gave it to you? That’s a special friend.

Actually I was the best man at his wedding 30 years ago and are lifelong friends to this day. Anyway my friend Karl always knew I liked that Aetobatus plate and was floored when he offered it to me. I thought you would get a kick out of this rare Miocene fossil and story.

Aetobatus arcuatus

link

selection_4.thumb.jpg.2c79e8f8fe1803c274ccf6560ee5341b.jpgselection_3.thumb.jpg.6d0feb1fe6d5f573eb16cc116442ccb3.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Really nice specimen.  Definitely a piece of an Aetobatus lower dental plate.  Aetobatus dental plates have only one median dental file in each dental plate and don't have lateral dental files.  You have five teeth from the dental plate.  I've seen lower plates with as many as 14 teeth in the plate.  You can tell it is a lower plate because the teeth are very arched toward the front and narrowly imbricated in a herring-bone pattern.  The teeth in the upper dental plate are fairly rectilinear except near the lateral edges where they curve backwards and decrease in width. Cappetta 2012

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Archived