Recent shark egg cases

fossilnut

Help please. Some time ago. there was a thread in which some one I believe from the northeast USA commented on their finding various shark egg cases. I have tried searching in vain to locate that post. I volunteer at the Natural History Society Of Maryland. I am trying to put together a display/talk for shark week coming up in July. Would like to include recent shark egg cases along with my collection of fossil shark teeth and centra.  I can trade various Miocene/Pliocene fossils, St Clair ferns or other fossils. Any help to connect me to anyone with shark egg cases would be greatly appreciated

Coco's collection, and her post, is terrific. I have some skate egg cases (Raja sp.) I'd be glad to send you, if you want them, but I don't have any sharks.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

AlDente, pagurus, doushantuo  Thanks for helping me find that post. Yes Coco has an amazing collection. First time I had seen fossil shark egg cases. Thanks for the article.

lordpiney  In looking @ Coco's post on shark egg cases, I saw your response re finding them. See my original post above. Any help you can provide, I would appreciate. PM me and we can work out any details. Thanks for your consideration.

Pagurus  Thanks for your kind offer. I already have a number of skate egg cases from both NC and SC. But would like some shark-shark ones to add to the display

s41598-018-20046-4.pdf

less than 2,5 Mb,and an awesome addition to anyone interested in the ecology of hydrothermal vents & /or selachian repoduction

bercofimages.jpg

edit(POST-Pagurus reaction):

ok,I'm guessing the biomimetics crowd is active again:spider silk analog,elastic,yet strong->selachian egg case lit hard to get,at least the ones focussing on functional morphology.

Shark & ray conservancy might have something to woith it as well

Will try to get Knight's 2008 piece in Biol.Rev,but am pessimistic as yet(paywalled)

Hi,

I have a lot of recent shark and ray eggs, but I think I have only one species of shark eggs : Scyliorhinus canicula. I can send you several of each species I have a lot. Just let me know, it would be done with pleasure.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

BTW, thanks for your comments ;)

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

@Coco It is not clear who if anyone in particular you meant to receive this offer. I am very interested in shark egg cases as I explained in the initial post. I would be pleased to work something out with you. Just let me know. I am trying to learn to distinguish shark from ray eggs. The horn shark ones are very distinctive but other do not seem that different from rays. I am just starting to learn. In an event, your posts are very informative and you have an outstanding collection.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I suppose you have seen my post about recent selacian eggs here :

I have two species of rays and one of shark eggs I can send you. I will send you the latin names on MP.

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

• 1 month later...

I have TONS of “mermaid purses”, as well as a variety of whelk and other cases (I never take anything knowingly alive... I felt guilty with a few barnacles I didn’t know were alive.   Are any of those what you want/need?

Hi,

Would you put pics here please ?

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Sure @Coco!   I am unaware of “modern shark cases” from sharks in the mid-Atlantic, USA (I believe the varieties here carry their pups to term), so the cases are likely only from skate and stingrays.  (I did find one in my North Atlantic Sea adventure day... !). I donate them, so this is “my current inventory”.  

image.thumb.jpg.e04f3a55678286a77cb7a4c5a9ca92ec.jpg

I do a lot of work with kids, especially with a local hospital’s pediatric patients (Sinai- they have a partnership with the National Aquarium).  They are big “Batman” fans, and “mermaid purses” are as Batman looking as there are in nature, so in addition to making certain they are empty, I carefully slit and bleach the ones I will be using there. @fossilnut I probably live within 20 minutes of you!  I am a TOTAL NEWBIE with fossils, but I am much more knowledgeable about everything that I can learn that is beach related-  “bling” including everything that lives near or in the water here,  shells, grasses/cypress, crabs, (and fox and other dune animals), sea glass, environmental impact issues, marine life, fishing,... and of course Assateague/Chincoteague, OC, and Delaware to Rehoboth, etc.

I also have some heartbreaking stories about “dogfish”, hammerheads that recently ended-up in OC - especially a pregnant one who died from exhaustion after being caught in OC by people fishing twice in one day (thankfully, kind people immediately retrieved her 20 spontaneously aborted, “appearing term” pups, and immediately put them in the ocean beyond the breaking waves), people fishing with “cannons” for shark/skate/stingrays, etc.

@fossilnutI would love to meet you, and even occasionally volunteer, at the NHS!

@Coco please let me know if you would “like some unprepped ones”.  They are abundant here!

@InfoHungryMomHi again  There is a Natural History Society of Maryland Fossil Club meeting this Wednesday @ 7pm. Great speaker. Please join us. I will be there. Trips planned and knowledgeable people. My wife and I will be away for a month but will contact you next year if I do not see you on Wed. will be beach combing/fossil hunting. BTW 3rd egg case on left is interesting. Looks cut in half. Is it broken or intact? Thanks for posting pics.

It is genuinely my pleasure.  It is a treat to be somewhat knowledgeable and have lots to share in this Forum!

My guess is that the case is torn, but I will check it out.

I am embarrassed to say I was unfamiliar with the NHS.  Thank you for your invitation and for making me aware of it.  I have lots to learn and hopefully lots to share as well. 

One of my “collections” might be ideal for the NHS-  I have many hundreds of shells with holes, mostly bivalves from gastropods, but I have mollusks and partial gastropods-  great for teaching about shells and for them to quickly make a necklace or Christmas ornament....

Hi... Fossilnut- so sorry I couldn’t make it, but I will in the future.

@Coco  for you and for @fossilnut

in the meantime, here are a few more you haven’t seen

Hi,

I think on your last pic you have 3 or 4 different species. I don't know the american species, but to identify them you have to put them in water to return to their original shape, and make a picture with a ruler in the direction of the length.

Then you can let them dry and they will become as they are now, their material is rot-proof.

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Coco and @fossilnut-  this is for you.  If you would like this-  Fossil-  for your presentations, and/or Coco, for your studies, I am happy to do that and more.  For my own info?  Nah!  I would even happily save this and more for either of you or both of you!  I’ll mail it to you if it’s legal... I have a feeling it isn’t Coco, but if it is... done! (Fossilnut gets first dibs, though!  He was the person originally making the request, and we just discovered he’s practically a neighbor :)

There’s a storm brewing here, but we found more anyway!  I can always send you pictures and information when I am at the beach if it will help you!

Coco- uncertain how you would like them grouped and measured but (as always will try:))

Archived