fossilnut

Help please. Some time ago. there was a thread in which some one I believe from the northeast USA commented on their finding various shark egg cases. I have tried searching in vain to locate that post. I volunteer at the Natural History Society Of Maryland. I am trying to put together a display/talk for shark week coming up in July. Would like to include recent shark egg cases along with my collection of fossil shark teeth and centra.  I can trade various Miocene/Pliocene fossils, St Clair ferns or other fossils. Any help to connect me to anyone with shark egg cases would be greatly appreciated

Pagurus

Coco's collection, and her post, is terrific. I have some skate egg cases (Raja sp.) I'd be glad to send you, if you want them, but I don't have any sharks.

doushantuo

Agree with Pagurus, Coco's thread is a visual feast.

careful 23,Mb!!

Outtake below, a pretty good peer-reviewed paper. 

2f5665tyyy4ee44e5tmedtr2m35pltwillist.jpg

fossilnut

AlDente, pagurus, doushantuo  Thanks for helping me find that post. Yes Coco has an amazing collection. First time I had seen fossil shark egg cases. Thanks for the article.

fossilnut

lordpiney  In looking @ Coco's post on shark egg cases, I saw your response re finding them. See my original post above. Any help you can provide, I would appreciate. PM me and we can work out any details. Thanks for your consideration.

fossilnut

Pagurus  Thanks for your kind offer. I already have a number of skate egg cases from both NC and SC. But would like some shark-shark ones to add to the display

doushantuo

s41598-018-20046-4.pdf

less than 2,5 Mb,and an awesome addition to anyone interested in the ecology of hydrothermal vents & /or selachian repoduction

bercofimages.jpg

edit(POST-Pagurus reaction):

ok,I'm guessing the biomimetics crowd is active again:spider silk analog,elastic,yet strong->selachian egg case lit hard to get,at least the ones focussing on functional morphology.

Shark & ray conservancy might have something to woith it as well

Will try to get Knight's 2008 piece in Biol.Rev,but am pessimistic as yet(paywalled)

Coco

Hi,

I have a lot of recent shark and ray eggs, but I think I have only one species of shark eggs : Scyliorhinus canicula. I can send you several of each species I have a lot. Just let me know, it would be done with pleasure.

Coco

Coco

BTW, thanks for your comments ;)

Coco

fossilnut

@Coco It is not clear who if anyone in particular you meant to receive this offer. I am very interested in shark egg cases as I explained in the initial post. I would be pleased to work something out with you. Just let me know. I am trying to learn to distinguish shark from ray eggs. The horn shark ones are very distinctive but other do not seem that different from rays. I am just starting to learn. In an event, your posts are very informative and you have an outstanding collection.