I may have made a breakthrough?

Bone guy

Ok so a while ago I posted a topic in this thread about a Manemergus jaw bone. The seller told me it was from the Goulmima region of Morocco so I thought, well, it must be Manemergus. But something about it just did not feel right. So tonight I saw a picture of a skull from the Elasmosaur Libonectes, and at that moment the Manemergus ID went out the door. I realized the jaw I had was identical to the jaw of Libonectes. This prompted me to do a comparison to the other Elasmosaur, Zarafasaurus. Zarafasaurus nearly matches, but not enough. I'm now 99% confident this is a jaw section from Libonectes. Anybody agree? Opinions are welcomed :) 

IMG_0954.PNG

IMG_0955.PNG

• I found this Informative 1

The latest cranial info(I think) would have to be the one in a 2107(march?) issue of Cretaceous Research(Sachs & Kear's rediscription) .

Judging from the abstract,it might be a "must-have" bit of lit,if you want to be absolutely sure

Can't help in that department,it's paywalled

Oh, come on! I was bidding for that fossil! :blink:

At least I just want the teeth that come with it. The seller doesn't state whether or not the included teeth may be associated with the jaw. However, if the teeth were to be associated with the jaw, then it is more likely just Manemergus, are the teeth are clearly pliosaur/polycotylid-like and unlike elasmosaur teeth.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Wow, i didn't know people in this forum were bidding for that fossil.....

The reason i say that, is because i won the auction (sorry!). I can't help with specific ID as i just went along with the Manemergus ID.....but either way i would be just as happy if it turned out to be Libonectes (or another Elasmosaur), but for the meantime unless someone else is confident about the jaw id, i still believe it is from a Polycotylid (likely Manemergus).

Also isn't Libonectes known from the Akrabour Formation, which if i am not mistaken is part of the Kem Kem assemblage?. The fossil i believe was found in the same area that Thillua was discovered in. 

22 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

At least I just want the teeth that come with it.

When i receive the jaw and the teeth, i can send the teeth to you if you want, because i mainly just wanted the jaw. Also i believe the teeth are associated since the last couple of pics show the teeth still in the jaw before being prepped.

19 minutes ago, talon22 said:

The reason i say that, is because i won the auction (sorry!).

What sorry? An auction is an auction, and if you thew in double the amount of my budget, then who can stop you? ;) Sure it can be frustrating at times when something desirable becomes tantalizingly unattainable, but after all, it's an auction! Just like an ambitious collector looking in a museum collection, wanting to have all the fossils behind the glass but obviously can't.

26 minutes ago, talon22 said:

Also isn't Libonectes known from the Akrabour Formation, which if i am not mistaken is part of the Kem Kem assemblage?

I guess, but Bone guy was suggesting that the jaw may have possibly been Libonectes material from a new and previously unrecorded location for such genus, hence he titled this thread "I may have made a breakthrough?"

28 minutes ago, talon22 said:

When i receive the jaw and the teeth, i can send the teeth to you if you want, because i mainly just wanted the jaw.

Are you serious?

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

3 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

What sorry? An auction is an auction, and if you thew in double the amount of my budget, then who can stop you? ;) Sure it can be frustrating at times when something desirable becomes tantalizingly unattainable, but after all, it's an auction! Just like an ambitious collector looking in a museum collection, wanting to have all the fossils behind the glass but obviously can't.

I guess, but Bone guy was suggesting that the jaw may have possibly been Libonectes material from a new and previously unrecorded location for such genus, hence he titled this thread "I may have made a breakthrough?"

Are you serious?

Yeah it is a nice jaw, was hoping i would win the auction, i just didn't realize who else was interested in it. Ok i understand about what Bone guy was saying. Yeah if you want the teeth, i can send them to you, when i receive the specimen. The teeth are included in the auction, and i was mainly buying for the jaw. Besides, i am not an expert with plesiosaurs, and maybe you could help narrow down the genus the jaw+teeth belong to (assuming the teeth are associated). It is up to you if you want them or not :) 

I was also watching this auction, congrats to @talon22 on the win! It's a nice piece and it sold for a very inexpensive price for a nice-sized piece that had some helpful repair work done on it.The research on it should be a fun project,Talon you'd better take a lot of great pics of those teeth or even mold andcast them before you give them away (if you do), they should help in research as items for comparison.

38 minutes ago, jpenn said:

I was also watching this auction, congrats to @talon22 on the win! It's a nice piece and it sold for a very inexpensive price for a nice-sized piece that had some helpful repair work done on it.The research on it should be a fun project,Talon you'd better take a lot of great pics of those teeth or even mold andcast them before you give them away (if you do), they should help in research as items for comparison.

Thanks jpenn, very excited about the fossil. The thought of molding and casting the teeth sounds like a great idea :)