Hello,

Today I went fossil hunting down at Fossil Beach which is located on the Mornington Peninsula, Victoria, Australia. 

I have been there a few times before, but it always fun and I always find some good fossil specimens.

The formation there is known as the Fyansford formation which is middle Miocene (10-15 miilion years old). 

The weather was beautiful and warm, with no wind at all and almost flat seas.

Daniel.

Fossils 001.JPG

Everything I found.

Fossils 002.JPG

Gastropods

Fossils 003.JPG

Gypsum Crystal

The Fossil Beach site.  You can see the grey clay layer which is where all the fossils are located. The layer has been exposed by the waves and extends down under the rocks on the beach and into the ocean.

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Good haul Daniel!

Nice pictures too. Seems like a great place to hunt at. 

Apart from shells, what are the other possible fossil finds?

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

3 hours ago, DanKurek said:

The Fossil Beach site.  You can see the grey clay layer which is where all the fossils are located. The layer has been exposed by the waves and extends down under the rocks on the beach and into the ocean.

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Congratulations DanKurek,

Nice outcrop and fossils too! It was great to see that place.

I have some classic zeolites from Mornington Peninsula (Cairns Bay, Flinders). Great stuff also!

Regards,

Ricardo

@Max-fossils Hi

Other fossils you can find at this site include: Ceteacen bone and teeth, shark teeth, fish ear bones and coral. The vertebrate material is very rare through and I haven’t found any yet.

On 12-6-2018 at 12:04 AM, DanKurek said:

@Max-fossils Hi

Other fossils you can find at this site include: Ceteacen bone and teeth, shark teeth, fish ear bones and coral. The vertebrate material is very rare through and I haven’t found any yet.

Well I'm sure that you'll find some soon enough!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Nice finds. Looks like a cool place to hunt.

Any sandy beaches nearby to enjoy a swim and maybe look for fossils in the water? Those rocks look like you could get scratched up trying to go swimming. Also if it’s like other beaches I’ve been to like that you’re likely to get stuck by an urchin spine if you’re not careful.

Is it any good for snorkeling or diving? Might find lots of fossils weathered out on the bottom that may not be picked over by others.

I'm impressed with Cenozoic mollusks and that's quite a collection you've made. Nicely photographed and the site photos are gorgeous too. Congratulations.

@KimTexan Hi

I am not sure if you can find much snorkelling here. The formation may extend out into the bay but I would need to do some research. Snorkelling is quite rewarding at Beaumaris though. Beaumaris is 40 min from Fossil Beach and you can find shark and ceteacen fossils while snorkelling. As for sea urchins they are quite abundant around Port Phillip Bay and you will find them in large patches. Fortunately if you are wearing a wetsuit and water shoes while snorkelling you will be all good. In the summer when it is a lot warmer there is plenty of beaches near by to swim at. My favourite thing to do at the beach pier jumping is Brighton Pier. Always good to beat the Aussie heat. Right now winter has just started and it averages 5-15 degrees celsius in Melbourne. Too cold for us Aussies :P

Thanks,

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Archived