What is it?

edgeshift

Fossil? found in South Dublin, Ireland near the Whitechurch Stream, any idea what it is, a tooth or perhaps a carved tool of some kind?

Fossil 01.jpg

Cropped and brightened:

5b1ea03666828_Fossil01.jpg.74679ec334c594c26b930203c25aaa00.jpg

I don't believe this is a tooth or claw. :unsure: 

Better, more detailed, pictures from additional sides may tell us more. 

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!

It is not a tooth of any kind: there are no signs of enamel on it. 

And although I hate to be the bearer of bad news, I'm afraid to say that, even from this blurry picture, it seems like you have just picked up a concretion: a stone. (As in a non-fossil stone)

But brighter and better pictures might help to prove my second point wrong. 

I do have good news: if this thing was found in Dublin, even if it isn't a fossil, here is a way for you to find cool fossils by yourself. There is a location just north of Dublin called Malahide, where you can find fossils of corals, brachiopods and crinoids about 350 million years old!

https://english.fossiel.net/sites/fossil_site.php?plaats=97

If you find anything, make sure that you make a trip report of your hunt there and your findings in the "Fossil Hunting Trips" thread on this forum ;) 

Good luck!

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Thanks for all the replies, further photos uploaded.

Thanks Max for suggesting Malahide, I'll have a hunt around the next time I'm over there.

Just one of those curiously shaped rocks we all find and pick up from time to time. The last set of images clearly show it is not a horn coral which was my  first thought. The natural history museum in Dublin is another good place to find fossils.

Archived