Bone guy

What are you building? :D 

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

under construction

Peat Burns

Love the toe bones and unguals.  Harder to come by IMO. I'd be biased towards those, too.  Great, informative post.  Love the typical digging knife.  Among other things good for shaving roots (rather than pulling :o which the inexperienced digger would soon regret! ).

Thanks for posting pics from paradise.

Raggedy Man

:envy:

Malcolmt

Absolutely amazing post with great pics.......

Troodon
1 hour ago, Bone guy said:

What are you building? :D 

A skeleton,  all finished :D

ynot

:dinothumb::trex::yay-smiley-1::envy:

Looks like You did good on this trip, congratulations Frank!

Bone guy

Wow, great trip! The theropod teeth are my favorite. That Acheroraptor tooth is exquisite :) 

sixgill pete

Awesome Frank. That is a dream trip of a lifetime for many of us!

Nimravis

Nice finds Frank and great trip report.

jpc

Cool. Looks like you have some good sites there.  Nice pile of bones.  

Innocentx

Great bones!  Any theories on what caused the complete dis-articulation of even the skulls? Flooding perhaps?

KimTexan

It looks similar to the terrain of a dig site in the Lance Formation in Wyoming I’ve been to a couple times. Only the one I go to has hoodoos all over the place. I think the layers were thicker in the Lance where we dig too.

The dig I’ve been to is in June.

I get the crazy weather. Once when out on the dig we had a severe storm with straight line winds. Many of those there for the dig were camping in tents because it is so remote. The temp had been in the 80s during the day, but suddenly dropped to below freezing that night with wind, rain and sleet. The winds were so bad it mangled a few tents rendering them unusable. 

Often strong winds blow through the day sand blasting you while you dig. They put up little lento We all had to wear goggles to protect our eyes from the sand.

The fossils look pretty similar to the Lance too, but there are a lot more large bones. Some take days to remove. I don’t think the teeth were very common on the particular 2 sites I dug in, but in other sites they were. They also found a number of sculls. 

It looks like an amazing trip with great finds.

So what happens to the fossils that you dig up? 

All those dug up in situ on the dig I attend go to a university museum. Whatever you find not in situ you can take 

WhodamanHD

That’s a lot of Dino! Just bone after bone after bone! Awesome job and thanks for taking us with you! I believe the wierd growth is a lichen if some sort. Many millions of species and they are a composite organism in and of themselves so it’s probably not gonna get beyond that.

jpc

In general the Lance has a lot more rather thick yellowish sandstones than the Hell Creek, which has more gray and dark gray mudstone beds.  And yes, hoodoos are very typical in the Lance; made of those very same yellow sandstones.   Which University Museum have you been digging with?  Not mine, unless that is not your photo inyour avatar.    

we are pretty proud of our wind here in Wyoming.   If you come back for another dig, stop by the Tate Museum in Casper... I  (or one of my vols) can show you some cool stuff.  

Manticocerasman

So many bones :trilosurprise::envy: