Troodon

9 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

Awesome Frank. That is a dream trip of a lifetime for many of us!

Exact ! :envy::envy::envy::envy:

One question about your bag, Troodon: it seems quite a clever small one, easy to carry and to get the necessary tools quickly.

Did you bought it or you configured by yourself ?

Possible to get it somewhere ?

I am not into bones, but I enjoyed your report very much. Impressive scenery, impressive fossils. And the best of all - at least for my personal taste - are your "discovery photos". I liked them most. Thank you!
Franz Bernhard

14 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Love the toe bones and unguals.  Harder to come by IMO. I'd be biased towards those, too.  Great, informative post.  Love the typical digging knife.  Among other things good for shaving roots (rather than pulling :o which the inexperienced digger would soon regret! ).

Thanks for posting pics from paradise.

Thanks, I've been lucky to find the toe bones and unguals over my past few trips.  Never too many

13 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

Absolutely amazing post with great pics.......

Thank you

12 hours ago, Bone guy said:

Wow, great trip! The theropod teeth are my favorite. That Acheroraptor tooth is exquisite :) 

Teeth are always on top of my list. That tiny tooth when blown up is cool.

10 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Nice finds Frank and great trip report.

Thanks

9 hours ago, jpc said:

Cool. Looks like you have some good sites there.  Nice pile of bones.  

Thanks, Yes definitively a good trip.  I've dug in the Lance in a Hadro quarry near Lusk, bones were better preserved but the layer not as deep.  More teeth.

7 hours ago, jpc said:

In general the Lance has a lot more rather thick yellowish sandstones than the Hell Creek, which has more gray and dark gray mudstone beds.  And yes, hoodoos are very typical in the Lance; made of those very same yellow sandstones.   Which University Museum have you been digging with?  Not mine, unless that is not your photo inyour avatar.    

we are pretty proud of our wind here in Wyoming.   If you come back for another dig, stop by the Tate Museum in Casper... I  (or one of my vols) can show you some cool stuff.  

I almost gave you a call for a visit on this trip but hopfully can do so in Sept.   I do want to stop since I go through  Douglas on Interstate 25

9 hours ago, Innocentx said:

Great bones!  Any theories on what caused the complete dis-articulation of even the skulls? Flooding perhaps?

Thanks, We had a Sedimentologist from the  Field Museum come out and do a study on the site.  Best call, the Hadros were looking for water in a period of drought and came to a dry or low river bed.   Some event caused major flooding and drowned a large number of them.   The decomposed skeletons were disarticulated by strength of the current.   Some indication that this was not a single event.

9 hours ago, KimTexan said:

It looks similar to the terrain of a dig site in the Lance Formation in Wyoming I’ve been to a couple times. Only the one I go to has hoodoos all over the place. I think the layers were thicker in the Lance where we dig too.

The dig I’ve been to is in June.

I get the crazy weather. Once when out on the dig we had a severe storm with straight line winds. Many of those there for the dig were camping in tents because it is so remote. The temp had been in the 80s during the day, but suddenly dropped to below freezing that night with wind, rain and sleet. The winds were so bad it mangled a few tents rendering them unusable. 

Often strong winds blow through the day sand blasting you while you dig. They put up little lento We all had to wear goggles to protect our eyes from the sand.

The fossils look pretty similar to the Lance too, but there are a lot more large bones. Some take days to remove. I don’t think the teeth were very common on the particular 2 sites I dug in, but in other sites they were. They also found a number of sculls. 

It looks like an amazing trip with great finds.

So what happens to the fossils that you dig up? 

All those dug up in situ on the dig I attend go to a university museum. Whatever you find not in situ you can take 

Thanks, The spring weather can be warm and wet but the fall trips can be quite chilly.  No camping for us we like showers and good meals after a hards days work. :D  Travel 50 miles daily to the site.   

Bones should be the same as the Lance, same species in the Hell Creek.  All Edmontosaurus. 

Bones are kept for our collection, everything we find in in situ.

8 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

That’s a lot of Dino! Just bone after bone after bone! Awesome job and thanks for taking us with you! I believe the wierd growth is a lichen if some sort. Many millions of species and they are a composite organism in and of themselves so it’s probably not gonna get beyond that.

Thanks lichen make sense.  They like the dark side :o

12 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

Awesome Frank. That is a dream trip of a lifetime for many of us!

Thanks, I cherish the opportunity to do this. 

14 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

:envy:

Thanks

13 hours ago, ynot said:

:dinothumb::trex::yay-smiley-1::envy:

Looks like You did good on this trip, congratulations Frank!

I did thanks

5 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

So many bones :trilosurprise::envy:

Yes, never too many :D

5 hours ago, caterpillar said:

Great report with a lot of finds. I hope one day to go there

Thank you, If you can go its a great experience 

1 hour ago, FranzBernhard said:

I am not into bones, but I enjoyed your report very much. Impressive scenery, impressive fossils. And the best of all - at least for my personal taste - are your "discovery photos". I liked them most. Thank you!
Franz Bernhard

Thank you

3 hours ago, Pemphix said:

Exact ! :envy::envy::envy::envy:

One question about your bag, Troodon: it seems quite a clever small one, easy to carry and to get the necessary tools quickly.

Did you bought it or you configured by yourself ?

Possible to get it somewhere ?

Thank you.  I purchased the bag at a Home Supply store available here in the States at places like Home Depot or Lowes.  Its very convenient to have all your small tools with you. 

Brilliant report and some informative tips thank you. Some great finds too . The Acheroraptor is a beauty. Also I liked the landscape and flora photographys they put the discovery of the dinosaur material in geological  context .  Congratulations on your successful trip.  Cheers Bobby 

3 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Brilliant report and some informative tips thank you. Some great finds too . The Acheroraptor is a beauty. Also I liked the landscape and flora photographys they put the discovery of the dinosaur material in geological  context .  Congratulations on your successful trip.  Cheers Bobby 

Thank you and had lots of fun

2 hours ago, Vieira said:

Amazing :popcorn:.

Thanks for sharing your fantastic trip and finds :dinothumb:

Thank you

A few isolated Teeth

Ceratopsian (Trike) spitters

Spitters.thumb.jpg.f8426cc75fc36522d3d66f15b44e54e8.jpg

A very interesting find.  The tip area of this Nano tooth appears pathologic.  No break just deformed.  Very unusual 

5b1fed0f5770d_NanoPatho.thumb.jpg.02daf424e5129a97a774620870fc9edd.jpg

NanoTooth11.thumb.jpg.c5c62cea953b11aaa649c83dd74203a9.jpg

Nanotooth12.thumb.jpg.837792dacd980c4024a96f0aa0ed3704.jpg

17 hours ago, Troodon said:

A skeleton,  all finished :D

I'm guessing this is a joke but just want to be sure given how many pieces of hadrosaur you have :ighappy: 

Anyway looks like you have had an amazing time, I'm guessing you have finished for this trip. And yes beautiful finds and location hopefully one day I get to dig over there hey maybe we do a swap I'll set up so you can come dig the kem kem and I can dig hells creek ;) 

21 minutes ago, Haravex said:

I'm guessing this is a joke but just want to be sure given how many pieces of hadrosaur you have :ighappy: 

Anyway looks like you have had an amazing time, I'm guessing you have finished for this trip. And yes beautiful finds and location hopefully one day I get to dig over there hey maybe we do a swap I'll set up so you can come dig the kem kem and I can dig hells creek ;) 

Had a great time how can you not even if you do not find anything.   Ha Ha  its very difficult to put anything together despite all of the bones.   The size, left or right makes assembling a composite hand or foot very difficult and I've yet to be able to do it.  You cannot put an order in for a specific bone and size.   I typically don't collect the leg bones or other large ones and let one of the others do that.   Getting on the site is very difficult since the group does not like to have strangers present and ditto with the landowner.

@Troodon these pics are making me want to leave what I’m doing and fly to SD to dig...like now :ighappy: 

Very cool finds.. I would say successful trip to say the least! 

Once the specimens are fully prepped, do you usually put your finds on display or something, or only a few favorite ones?

Any of these finds completely new for you, or all things you found before (aside from that hadrosaur skull element) ? 

Appreciate you sharing your trip, thank you

27 minutes ago, Masp said:

@Troodon these pics are making me want to leave what I’m doing and fly to SD to dig...like now :ighappy: 

Very cool finds.. I would say successful trip to say the least! 

Once the specimens are fully prepped, do you usually put your finds on display or something, or only your favorite ones? Also are any of these finds absolutely new for you, things you found before. 

Appreciate you sharing your trip, thank you

Ha Ha thanks.   I already cannot wait for my Fall trip.  These are cool trips and again I am very fortunate that I have a couple of places to go.   The teeth I will post quickly and already started, the others may or may not get on depending what I do with the item.    I will do my best to post the ones that are finished and keep, so others can see them.  Most of the items, not all like the exoccipital,  have been been found before but preservation state, size, position are always different.  I'm trying to assemble a composite hand and foot but its not that easy and hope to find specimens that fit which rarely happens.    Last fall I found a typical centrum but it had predation marks on it, very cool.  Now I find one with what appears to be a pathology but need to clean it up to determine that.  I will put my favorites and special ones on display in my collection.

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Ha Ha thanks.   I already cannot wait for my Fall trip.  These are cool trips and again I am very fortunate that I have a couple of places to go.   The teeth I will post quickly and already started, the others may or may not get on depending what I do with the item.    I will do my best to post the ones that are finished and keep, so others can see them.  Most of the items, not all like the exoccipital,  have been been found before but preservation state, size, position are always different.  I'm trying to assemble a composite hand and foot but its not that easy and hope to find specimens that fit which rarely happens.    Last fall I found a typical centrum but it had predation marks on it, very cool.  Now I find one with what appears to be a pathology but need to clean it up to determine that.  I will put my favorites and special ones on display in my collection.

Cool stuff, maestro :dinothumb::dinothumb::dinothumb:

Great stuff and awesome pictures :wub::wub::wub::wub:

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Lovely finds and looks like a fun trip. Hopefully one day I’ll get to experience something like this. It’s been a combination of your posts and eBay searches but I’ve been getting into the theropod teeth lately. I’ll have to post some up in the future. Keep the pics coming from this trip!!!

2 hours ago, belemniten said:

Great stuff and awesome pictures :wub::wub::wub::wub:

Thank you

43 minutes ago, Woopaul5 said:

Lovely finds and looks like a fun trip. Hopefully one day I’ll get to experience something like this. It’s been a combination of your posts and eBay searches but I’ve been getting into the theropod teeth lately. I’ll have to post some up in the future. Keep the pics coming from this trip!!!

Thank you.   It was a blast of a trip and why not.   Nice to hear we have another convert into Theropod teeth.  Enjoy your new acquisitions and would love to see them.

Super trip report.  What a great adventure that I would love to do.  Maybe someday.  Congrat on a great trip.

troodon... do stop by n your way if you get a chance.  Give me a few days warning, um, heads up, I mean so we can organize.   

17 hours ago, jpc said:

troodon... do stop by n your way if you get a chance.  Give me a few days warning, um, heads up, I mean so we can organize.   

:dinothumb:

Thanks for sharing with us, really impressive work and great finds! I hope you had a wonderful trip.

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

22 hours ago, TyBoy said:

Super trip report.  What a great adventure that I would love to do.  Maybe someday.  Congrat on a great trip.

Thank you.  If you ever can go a good experience

3 hours ago, Jaimin013 said:

Thanks for sharing with us, really impressive work and great finds! I hope you had a wonderful trip.

Thank you.  Had an awesome time playing in the dirt :D

Archived