Found at Saltwick Bay, Whitby, North Yorkshire

rob2bking

Hi all, my sons and I are new members and just getting into fossil hunting, we hope to become regulars on the forum with our (hopefully) interesting finds! This is a photo of a find from Saltwick Bay, Whitby, North Yorkshire, it was already on display like this and we have absolutely no idea what it is (if anything). If anyone can shed any light, that would be great!

Rob, Oscar and Elliot

20180612_091319.jpg

Edited by rob2bking

Welcome to the forum! I think that's a limestone concretion with a bit of iron staining and some thin calcite veins. It's possible that the vertical structure is a trace fossil (burrow) but I'm not at all sure about that.

There might be the keel of a small ammonite showing here: 

5b1f944909c60_ScreenShot2018-06-12at10_35_21.png.4c6fe4e56febfba270fcd3f381c954fa.png

Tarquin

Hi, thanks for the reply, there is a good sized ammonite imprint on the other side, and I now see the possible keel of another, (hadn't unit you pointed it out) but it was the line down the middle that he got excited about, I think we got a bit carried away and instantly saw it as a backbone, we'll keep searching! Many thanks for your response!

Rob, Oscar and Elliot

20180612_113347.jpg

• I found this Informative 1