Fossil hunting trip Morehead Kentucky trace fossils

crazy4horses

Was hunting for trace fossils at the Walmart excavation site and came across this among the zoophycos.  Do not know what it is. 

Fossil1.jpg

Fossil location.jpg

Edited by crazy4horses
Adding picture of rock formation where found

In the original picture posted the tear drop shape globs on the edge of the stone are 1.5 inches by 5 inches long.  

I have another picture of another stone that I attached to this post the stone itself is 1.5 by 2.5 feet.

Fossil3.jpg

Somehow they look like Thalassinoides, but I'm more convinced it's geological, something in the line of tripolitic chert. :)

5b203fe7c91ae_TripoliticChert-800.jpg.574ae0b8838f1aab587bd6ba9373af07.jpg

Welcome to the Forum ! :)

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Yes I have seen tripolitic chert further south in Rowan and Bath County normally between the limestone and corbin standstone layer.  It does have a similar shape but the cast itself is not chert.  If you view it from the side where it broke off from the ledge the cast appears to be the same material as the matrix.

This is just west of Morehead not to far from Bluestone Quarry where they quarried Rowan County Freestone (Buena Vista Sandstone).

Closeup picture of rock formationIMG_8399V3.thumb.jpg.88000ac322c1299cb86e1a24dc014db5.jpg

Edited by crazy4horses
duplicate pics

That is what I first thought that they were Sole markings.  They looked similar to markings you sometimes see in flood sediments along a river.  But I was not sure. 

Not a bad idea, supertramp. :)
 Just seen that the tag says "silstone" (suspect it was misspelled), and that makes sens in the fine-grained sedimentary rock line.

I'm not familiar with the area and I'm not a geologist, but I read before my first post in this topic R. D. Trace & D. H. Amos. Stratigraphy and Structure of the Western Kentucky Fluorspar District , which guided me to the supposed tripolitic chert.

" The Tuscaloosa is a poorly sorted chert gravel that has very indistinct bedding and a very light, bleached appearance in most outcrops. Crossbedding is rare, and directional elements appear to be erratic. Chert pebbles and cobbles generally have a dull surface luster and are very light to light gray, light yellowish brown, white, or rarely light pink; they range from freshappearing clasts to soft, porous tripolitic material. " (...)

" The silt is generally tripolitic chert, and the clay is kaolinite (Pryor and Glass, 1961). Locally, the gravel is weakly cemented by silt and clay matrix or well cemented by silica or iron hydroxides. Silica cement is more common in the upper few feet of the formation, and ferruginous cement is more common at and near the base.
At places, especially near faults, the ferruginous cement is present in sufficient quantity to have been exploited as brown iron ore (Nelson and Wood, 1949; Rogers, 1963; Hays, 1964; Amos, 1974; Amos and Hays, 1974; Rogers and Trace, 1976). "

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library