rapp creek hunting mid June

Rowboater

Went out hoping recent rains would have washed out some teeth.  Mostly washed away the angel teeth and drum esophageal teeth I've been finding (a few of each).  Usual sand shark spikes and more vertebrae than usual (gravelly?)  Finally found a weird pinkish white banded mako, or rather great white, slant length 2".  Seemed a good time to quit.IMG-20180612-WA0000.thumb.jpg.b54c5ebce44981fdcfd6609e840f4478.jpg6-12-2018-teeth.thumb.jpg.8ccd3e583b6d66f22f22a1d20658ac33.jpg

Love that Mako!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Nice white! Love the bands on it!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Forgot other side.  The tooth is extremely glossy, even dried.  maybe something to do with the weird mineralization and colors.IMG-20180612-WA0001.thumb.jpg.8c7b2c867e14776a29ca333dffdc295a.jpg

The majority of the teeth out of Sharktooth Hill (Bakersfield, CA.), are preserved like this. The enamal is bright and shiny like it just now fell out of the shark's mouth.

Nice one!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

You are lucky to be able to find shark teeth. Nice finds!!
I love the mako.

Very rare for me to find teeth this size.  For such a small creek, I'm always surprised how one day most of the teeth look pristine with most cusplets intact, and the next three trips almost all are broken or worn.  Some spots yield a lot of teeth with digging one day, but never again.  Other spots don't yield many but can be counted on for a few each trip.

I've found seven or so mako/great white in the last few months, all but one wide upper teeth (unless I confuse lower with sand tiger shark, likely), only two or three decent sized, and all were in the same area (five feet) of the creek.  I always wonder if when I find a lot of angel teeth over a few days in one spot, or six cow shark teeth in the same three foot area over a  couple of months of digging and sifting, or the mako/ great white teeth six feet away from the others, if they actually represent millions of years separating the pockets of teeth?  The sand tiger spikes are everywhere, and most others either rare or not notable enough to link to a spot.  Frequently the layers are dark clay, giant tree oysters, topped by scallops mixed with frilly oysters, but it is frustrating that i cannot associate the teeth with any single layer (which are often more jumbled).  

Archived