American Fossil Quarry Part 2

Fossil-Hound

Had a phenomenal time digging up Eocene freshwater vertebrae fossils in Wyoming this past weekend at @sseth and @FossilDudeCO famous American Fossil Quarry. Managed to convince my cousin, his two sons, and my family to join. @sseth set us up with our own rocks to split and he was very informative, showing us how to split the rock and what to look for. We all had a really good time. Here are some of the highlights.

IMG_2928.JPG

Matt's two sons Logan and Wesley had a blast. Here's their cart full of Knightia's.

IMG_2922.JPG

A sneak peak at some of the multi slabs I hauled away. On the bottom is a slab with five complete fish. There's one hiding in the sun and another top right that needs to be prepared out.

IMG_2923.JPG

Some of the finds. Some of these fish need some prep work to fully uncover.

IMG_2925.jpg

A personal favorite was the largest Diplomystus I have ever found. I should of put something in the picture for scale but this fish is nearly a foot wide.

IMG_2926.JPG

The heartbreaker of the day was this well preserve Mioplosus. The top and bottom halves of the head are missing! Still a nice looking fish and I'll use it for referencing the species in the years to come.

IMG_2931.JPG

Wesley holding up a decent sized Knightia.

IMG_2921.JPG

A view of the limestone rocks we were splitting. @sseth recovered a crocodile tooth from a small slab such as the ones pictured here some time ago.

IMG_2932.JPG

Matt trimming down his finds on the rock saw.

IMG_2934.JPG

My cousin Matt and his son Wesley showing off some of their prized fish.

IMG_2936.JPG

A front view of the rock quarry. There's a lot to offer at the site.

IMG_2937.JPG

Wes lining up fish for his dad to cut.

IMG_2938.JPG

Matt sawing away.

IMG_2939.JPG

The remains of the slabs after we split them down. We kept revisiting and respiting slabs. It was a lot of fun.

IMG_2941.JPG

The Seth clan hanging out under the shade, escaping the hot sun and dust.

IMG_2942.JPG

Couldn't resist snapping this photo. I really need to get one of these decals.

IMG_2953.JPG

@sseth on the left side. He was super helpful in showing us what to look for. That Mososaur skull on his shirt was recovered my him in Morocco. That is super neat. I'm holding up a large Knightia near Logan and Wes.

IMG_9358.jpg

Matt and his sons getting pumped to descend 50 million years into the Eocene.

IMG_9361.jpg

At 9:00am we were among the first on sight and we were all super excited to get to the digging and exploring.

IMG_9363.jpg

Wes (left) and Logan (right) braving the dust and sun to find Eocene fossils. Have to start them off young!

IMG_9365.jpg

Having dinner at a local Mexican restaurant in Kemmerer. The food was really good. We ordered Carne Asada that came with spicy salsa. Matt kept telling the waitress to bring out the "Gringo" salsa.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Great trip report and finds- looks like @sseth set your group up well. Thanks for posting, I have to get out there sometime soon.

Nice report, looks like you had a great time with your family! Fossils are just icing on the cake, and some very nice icing at that!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Jason, 

Great report and pictures!

Thanks for posting the trip for us. :) 

Glad you did well there. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Excellent report, pics, and finds!:dinothumb:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Nice finds!!  Brings back treasured memories from last year's trip to the quarry!

Thanks for the tour, Jason. :) Definitely looks like a fabulous place to collect, and it seems you and the family did very well. Quite a lot of fish!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

looks like it was fun for all.  Been awhile since ive done this myself, but nice to see other folks diggin for fossil fish.  Nice report.

RB

What everybody up above said and more.  This report left me with a warm feeling.  Where is that fish smell coming from?

Archived