MORE corals, Dichocoenia????

Dpaul7

I took a stab at more coral IDs; these arrived today and were sold as fossils from Florida/Caribbean.

Pleistocene to Recent?  Fossil?  I THINK these are Dichocoenia!!!  Please voice opposing opinions or agreement!!!!:fingerscrossed:

Photo #1 & 2 are specimen A

The remainder specimen B

No 3a.JPG

No 3b.JPG

No 5a.JPG

No 5b.JPG

No 5c.JPG

No 5d.JPG

Here are the rest... which I also believe are the same as above!

No 6a.JPG

No 6b.JPG

No 7a.JPG

No 7b.JPG

Thank you for the photos - My specimens were supposedly "surf tumbled" so some detail may be lost. I am NOT totally sure coral #1 belongs in this group.   The specimen you show is great, becauuse it shows outer AND inner structure. Mine seem to resemble the "inner structure" part.

Still studying corals... I suppose I will be happy classifying these down to Order:  Scleratinia .

Corals fascinate me because of the variety of structures built! My goal is to build a small collection of different varieties, so I can study IN THE HAND and learn to classify them!

Proper ID only with examination of fine septal structure. Extant corals preserve the original ornamentation of the septal upper margins, that is not the case her. I see what people call Goniastrea and "Favia", I am not so sure that you have Dichocoenia.

• I found this Informative 1

16 hours ago, HansTheLoser said:

I see what people call Goniastrea and "Favia", I am not so sure that you have Dichocoenia.

Thank you!  I DO see what you mean! This data gave me new search terms... and a GREAT help!  I agree... not Dichocoenia.