Lake Texoma Army Corp. of Engineers: Status?

jonemac

My wife and I went to North Texas with the main lure being to collect on the N. Sulphur River. Since we were staying in Sherman we also visited Post Oak Creek. Lake Texoma was high on the list since we were so close, but prior posts about Texoma dissuaded us to " not take any chances ". At the time, people were stating the Lake Texoma Army Corp. of Engineers considered it a no-no regarding  the removal of Ammonites from Corp. property. Since that time several years ago I have read multiple posts about collecting there but no caveats. We certainly have more trips to Texas from Missouri / Misery, and collecting at Lake Texoma would certainly be a destination. Set me straight...................

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Lake Texoma Army Corp. of Engineers: Status?

Give the appropriate Corp office a call regarding fossil collecting. One person said that they do not allow fossil collecting on Lake Texoma. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

In September of 2015 the Dallas Paleontological Society got permission to collect at Lake Texoma. The Corps was okay with this as long as we notified them in advance and we agreed to abide by the new rules being set up for federal lands which includes the undefined term "casual collecting." I believe the idea is to prevent commercial collecting but there may be more to it. In the past it depended on who was in charge at the local office at the time and sometimes just on who you ask. I have also heard stories about there being issues in the past with a local game warden telling folks it is against a state law. I'm guessing that he was referring to a regulation  really meant for archeological artifacts. From my research I believe Texas has no rules prohibiting fossil collecting except in state parks and Wildlife Protection Areas and the latter may be open to interpretation.

55 minutes ago, BobWill said:

Texas has no rules prohibiting fossil collecting except in state parks and Wildlife Protection Areas 

I should think so long as your fossils don't get too wild, you would be OK.

Dorensigbadges.JPG