oilshale

I bought an articulated microscope arm a few years ago, but I was never really happy with it. The arm was too wobbly - the parts did not fit exactly and had too much play. While preparing I had to avoid bumping into the microscope, otherwise the microscope started to swing up and down.
5b223c210faaa_articulatedarmboomstand.thumb.jpg.561cb8f165dee6d69d9072f92ab722d1.jpg
Now I have built myself a very sturdy double arm boom stand.
I used two 16mm ball-type linear bearings and two solid linear motion shafts (16mm diameter, 80cm long). The end pieces and the support are made of aluminium - I had the holes drilled by a local company for 15 dollars. Together, it cost me about $ 90.
Works fine!

You can buy double-arm boom stands for about $ 200, but the arms are too short for my purposes.

5b223c31dd5c0_newdoublearmboomstand.thumb.jpg.8188a5d2dbeb8d1c4c17c9ee23f07d16.jpg

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Very professional looking work!

Also, very nice "prep room".

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

3 hours ago, Paciphacops said:

Very professional looking work!

Also, very nice "prep room".

Thanks, but I wouldn't survive that. I'm only allowed to keep a few orchids there - that is my wife's realm sharing it with her crimson rosella, an asian box turtle and a veiled chameleon.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Archived