If you had $50 to spend on fossils what would you get?

Wolf89

Something I don't already have and that I know I probably can't find on my own.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

That is a question with many answers.

It would depend on whether your collection is specialized in any way, for example,  if you collect only vertebrates or only inverts, etc. Only Trilobites, or only Shark teeth. 

I personally am not a collector of bones, per se, ... and try to limit my fossils to what I can find,  - Plants, Fish Trilobites, and other invertebrates. 

While I do have some shark teeth, I don't generally collect them. 

Go for what you would like to collect, and not what people on here collect. 

You have your own goals,  or likes or dislikes. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

If this is all hypothetical then if someone gave me 50 usd and said there you can only spend that on fossils nothing else then yes, I would probably buy a nice dimetrodon tooth or coelophysis maybe.

11 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

A Saber-Tooth cat skull, if someone would sell it for that. Lol.

Then i would get a T.rex skeleton :hearty-laugh:

A lunch with another fossil hunter, possibly one more experienced than myself.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Brachiopods. 

Or one really, really rare one. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I would like a bug from la brea tar pits or a Dimetrodon Tooth to go with my claw

I would search for a cool book on dinosaur fossils, to add to my library and try to learn something.  

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

A lunch with another fossil hunter, possibly one more experienced than myself.

WhodamanHD is obviously a gentleman of keen insight, who recognizes true value.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

19 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

WhodamanHD is obviously a gentleman of keen insight, who recognizes true value.

Thank you for the kind words Snolly! If there’s one thing I’ve learned through fossil hunting, it’s that there is no limit to the amount one can learn from one conversation, and there is no more valuable asset than a friendship. Perhaps a bit cheesy, but I’m no vegan...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

9 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I’m no vegan...

I have heard of people eating or not eating animal products. Is there a new movement afoot or celebrity fad to not collect animal fossils too.:headscratch:

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Just now, DPS Ammonite said:

I have heard of people eating or not eating animal products. Is there a new movement afoot or celebrity fad to not collect animal fossils too.:headscratch:

Yes there is, typically they are known as “laws” :P

I meant I can take a little cheesiness.

Happy hunting,

Mason

I would gas up for a road trip out to Conasauga (trilos), and pick up a case of cold brewskies.  Best $50 ever spent.

I would go for the best mutiplier of my $50.

I collect a large variety so I usually go for the best value.

I look for opportunities to find something I don't have but at least doulbe the value of what I have to spend.

It's rare that I "have a to have" a fossil so I am always patient for a good deal.

The auctions to support the forum are always a great source of value.

25 minutes ago, Fossil Claw said:

The auctions to support the forum are always a great source of value.

That is true last year I won 2 different ones and spent less than $50 each time.

Hmm. Probably some tools for the field one day. I could use an estwing geology hammer, pick, etc. 

Subsidy for any accommodation, meal and fuel costs related to a trip.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

This is probably boring for most, but I would buy a round rock.    Crab concretion

RB

11 hours ago, jpc said:

yup.. gas for the road trip.  

11 hours ago, goatinformationist said:

I would gas up for a road trip out to Conasauga (trilos), and pick up a case of cold brewskies.  Best $50 ever spent.

7 minutes ago, Kane said:

Subsidy for any accommodation, meal and fuel costs related to a trip.

17 hours ago, ynot said:

Gas to go fossil hunting, that is what I would buy.

Yep better to go find them than buy them :D

14 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

:hearty-laugh:

Archived