First finds from the field

Darkhorse045

While working with some family not too long ago, my father pointed me towards a small natural spring of a trail. I finally got to visit it and I was surprised to see that, just below the crystal clear water's surface, embedded in limestone, were dozens upon dozens of fossil shells. I spent close to an hour making some observations about the rock and any layers I observed before noticing that the pool went under the far side, almost like a tunnel. I looked just beyond and there was another small pool of water. Between the two was a natural bridge made from limestone. The far pool was much like the first, crystal clear and having dozens of fossils just below the surface. I spent a small amount of time in the shallows to pick a few loose samples up. I wasn't able to spend much time there, but it was enjoyable and hopefully the next time I get to find a bit more variety. But for now, I am off to collect some information about formations in the area! 

35330747_1802302306516417_1668178264272666624_n.jpg

Welcome to the Forum from a Florida boy who grew up in the Suwannee river valley town of Melrose.  More springs and fossils than you can shake a stick at.  Where about are you generally located?  I might be able to tell you more...

I'm up in the Panhandle, up in Walton County, the spring is closer to the border of Holmes county.