Jaimin013

Hi everyone,

The tooth below is being advertised as a Pathological Juvenile CARCHARODONTOSAURUS Tooth on the popular auction site. Is this legit? I have my doubts... Please let me know your thoughts on this. I am curious to see what people think.

Seller says Pathological teeth are not common and tend to be caused by infections during the animals lifetime and that the tooth itself has unusual depressions, narrow tip, twists and shape to it. Its 23mm and the seller says it is clear this Carcharodontosaurus was easily under 1 year old... :headscratch:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l16000.jpg

s-l160000.jpg

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

2 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

I'm thinking this is either spinosaur or pterosaur, need some more expert opinions though @Troodon @LordTrilobite

That's what I was thinking...hmm strange looking tooth

I dont think its a tooth or dinosaurian but very cool whatever it is.   Dont see any serrations or cervix. Fish? I also dont believe its pathological 

Well that does indeed look like an interesting piece. It does look quite abnormal. But since it's so weird looking, I think identifying it with any certainty would be quite hard.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

4 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I dont think its a tooth or dinosaurian but very cool whatever it is.   Dont see any serrations or cervix. Fish? I also dont believe its pathological 

If not a tooth could it be a fish fin spine?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Something in my head keeps saying “hybodont” but maybe I’m just going crazy. Maybe a weirdly large hybodont cephalon spine?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

6 minutes ago, ynot said:

Yes one possibility or part of the gills . Very interesting item.

I feel this has enamel and therefor would say tooth...now of what I am not sure no serrations present so I would personally rule out carcharodontosaurus and abelsauride so perhaps and in my opinion a fish tooth (not too educated on this field) with obviously a pathology, which in my book is really cool but don't pay an excessive amount for it.

3 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Is the seller offering a locality on this "item"?

Nope just "Kem Kem Basin, Morocco, North Africa"

19 minutes ago, Haravex said:

I feel this has enamel and therefor would say tooth

Not always the case, enamel like “skins” appear on some osteoderms, spines, scales, and other structures. Mother Nature is a tricky women.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Pathological Juvenile Carcharodontosaurus Tooth???

It has the appearance of a tooth with a cavity for a replacement tooth. Almost like you would find in a Mosasaur. But it does look more fish to me. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

21 hours ago, Haravex said:

I feel this has enamel and therefor would say tooth...now of what I am not sure no serrations present so I would personally rule out carcharodontosaurus and abelsauride so perhaps and in my opinion a fish tooth (not too educated on this field) with obviously a pathology, which in my book is really cool but don't pay an excessive amount for it.

I agree definitely not a carcharodontosaurus.

rydysig.JPG

Yes it is definitely not carcharodontosaurus. I guess we wont be able to identify this specimen positively.

Sorry, I was out digging in Wyoming. 

Interesting tooth?

Doesn't look dinosaurian to me.

The more I look at it the more it looks like a super pathological sawfish rostral tooth.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived