How fake are these starfish?

PaleoSHAZZ

This “fossil” is already in my collection, but I just wanted to confirm that it was inauthentic.

43614CE6-BC0C-4CBF-9E74-DB1897FA9759.jpeg

Sad to say I am not seeing any fossil structure other than that which has been carved( outlined) and colored in. 

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Yeah you might want to hear from Tidgy's dad on this work of art.

• I found this Informative 1

Kind of starfish you see at shows from Morocco.  Top one is fake and has some similarities to yours

IMG_7600.JPG.09360814c9074d34f40a0bd47fe36863.JPG.849771332e99152acb217c6c203714ce.JPGIMG_1655.JPG.5ccaeb794606057601e07648a4997d23.JPG.78c2ac309d1174dff677073cc45f67a3.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Sorry to say I agree with the rest - fake. A couple of arms even cross a step in the rock, which is always a no-no! They could have tried a bit harder... :wacko:

Sorry but they are not looking good . If you ever buying fossils in the future and your not 100% about there authenticity . You can post them here before you buy and get the advice of others. I do this some times, try before you buy. 

All the best Bobby 

Try not to feel bad.  Most of us has been fooled by fakes in the past.  Probably the best way to learn, but also the most painful way too.  I wish you the best of luck on your future purchaces and maybe do what Bobby Rico posted.

RB

Hello my friend @PaleoSHAZZ . Welcome to TFF, and receive a warm hug from here of Argentina! :wub:

I am very sorry as well as the others, I also bear bad news, because I know very well how painful this can be, believe me, I was already deceived by a dishonest seller who sold me a piece of Siderite as if was Coprolite. To be honest, I believe that many people here within the TFF have been deceived at least once in their lives, and we take this as a lesson and learning so that it will not happen again. And there is only one way to do this, that is, to study a lot of what you want to buy. After you have studied and already have some knowledge about it, then yes the purchase is recommended. We can not allow salespeople to be the experts and thus we are forced to believe their words and "certificates," but rather we must study hard and be experts, and unfortunately there is no other way than this.

I do not wish to be redundant and act like a parrot, repeating what everyone has already said, but actually your "specimen" containing two supposed starfish, is 100% fake!

Once that I am not seeing any morphological and anatomical detail, but rather all I am seeing are likely brush strokes of iron oxide powder, mixed with a little gypsum powder with water to make the the stars, and after dry, grooves in the rock to imitate the contours and nothing more...

By way of comparison, I am placing here, a legitimate fossil starfish (Stenaster sp.) that is deposited in my private collection.

It is from the Upper Ordovician - Approximately 449 Million years. It was discovered in the Ktaoua Formation, Idem Ouachene, Istlhou, Morocco. And you will notice how rich it is in anatomical and morphological detail as a whole:

image.png.dd0d224f7c8943252b5d3c312a423a70.png

Note: According to my spy contacts, I am suspicious that our Moroccan friend @Tidgy's Dad also has in his collection a legitimate starfish fossil!

And the fossil star of the Sea can be identified in the red arrow, in our image of high spying through satellite! :D

image.png.4510865a79ed8b881069c24c1c1c877e.png

• I found this Informative 5

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

12 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Hello my friend @PaleoSHAZZ . Welcome to TFF, and receive a warm hug from here of Argentina! :wub:

Note: According to my spy contacts, I am suspicious that our Moroccan friend @Tidgy's Dad also has in his collection a legitimate starfish fossil!

And the fossil star of the Sea can be identified in the red arrow, in our image of high spying through satellite! :D

Ha de ha. 

Yes, this is the Upper Ordovician starfish 'Petraster' from El Kaid Errami, Morocco.

Here is a close up taken before Tidgy ate it. 

Petraster2.jpg.72c0b23bc4808a7297d7f12977ec092a.jpg

And the best of several edrioasteroids, Spinadiscus lefebvrei from the same block

Spinadiscus1.thumb.jpg.c21668c283de9d1004de4283e8f4ee34.jpg

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

@Tidgy's Dad Did Tidgy really eat your fossil? 

"Yes, this is the Upper Ordovician starfish 'Petraster' from El Kaid Errami, Morocco.

Here is a close up taken before Tidgy ate it."

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

23 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

@Tidgy's Dad Did Tidgy really eat your fossil? 

"Yes, this is the Upper Ordovician starfish 'Petraster' from El Kaid Errami, Morocco.

Here is a close up taken before Tidgy ate it."

No, she doesn't or she wouldn't be allowed anywhere near them. 

She does trample them quite often, but no harm done.

Yet. 

i keep fragile ones away from her. :)

She was quite frightened by a piece of turtle fossil that she encountered a couple of days ago. She's never been frightened by a fossil before. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png