Lake Erie fossil

MarkTurch

First time finding a fossil as my two sons and me were walking along Lake Erie, east of Cleveland.  I don’t have any ideas on what it is officially called and how old it is.  Any info would be awesome!  Thank you! 

6CD25FAE-2FEB-4732-A69A-431797C50103.jpeg

Thank you very much!!   That is very cool, though I don’t think my 9 and 6 year old comprehend 375 million years ago right now.   Great way to tell them though!  

Someone else who collects on Lake Erie in OH might have better info on that. It's definitely a brachiopod, but the genus could be something else. I'm not far away in the Buffalo, NY area and it looks like the Pseudoatrypa devoniana that are found in the Hamilton Group on the Lake Erie shore here, but it could be from several other layers on the shore. 

• I found this Informative 1

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

35 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

Someone else who collects on Lake Erie in OH might have better info on that. It's definitely a brachiopod, but the genus could be something else. I'm not far away in the Buffalo, NY area and it looks like the Pseudoatrypa devoniana that are found in the Hamilton Group on the Lake Erie shore here, but it could be from several other layers on the shore. 

I have to agree that it looks like a Pseudoatrypa. 

47 minutes ago, MarkTurch said:

I don’t think my 9 and 6 year old comprehend 375 million years ago right now.   

Tell them its almost as old as daddy. That should impress them.:rofl:

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

The main "shell" looking bit is a brachiopod. Probably Devonian, almost looks like the impression of a Pseudoatrypa sp.

Agreed.  Atrypa cf. A reticularis would be another possibility