How do I tell if something is rock or bone?

Wolf89

I have some really worn pieces that look like bone, but some people say they are just rock. Anyway to get a positive ID?

If you have some pictures we could help.

Bones have a very distinctive “spongy” texture with a hard exterior. Once you see a lot of them, you can tell pretty quickly whether or not an object is a bone. Well, there are some wierd bones that can throw you off but for the most part.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Agree with the above statement. 

Pictures would definitely help though.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

15 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Bones have a very distinctive “spongy” texture with a hard exterior. Once you see a lot of them, you can tell pretty quickly whether or not an object is a bone. Well, there are some wierd bones that can throw you off but for the most part.

There is a beach near me with THOUSANDS of these just sitting there. That'd be amazing if they were all bone.

996a727fc55bc1a6e54b7ded2ee4f049.png
8f95ac25f195dd0c105b26e4151346c3.pngb86579e58e57a1645b6e410755e7c614.png43cc459407aa760c262fb46b0f44a826.png

e6c347f28142c214ccb17b59a9e96a8b.png2157e47b00126fc274e8a9bfb817ddec.png

2 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Agree with the above statement. 

Pictures would definitely help though.

these help?

18 minutes ago, Wolf52893 said:

2157e47b00126fc274e8a9bfb817ddec.png

This is slag.

23 minutes ago, Wolf52893 said:

8f95ac25f195dd0c105b26e4151346c3.png

This one and the one below is bone I think.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

24 minutes ago, Wolf52893 said:

996a727fc55bc1a6e54b7ded2ee4f049.png

COULD be earbone

Happy hunting,

Mason

does the lick test actually work?

42 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

There are hundreds if not thousands of these on a beach by me, any idea what this means?

17 minutes ago, Wolf52893 said:

Not on bone fossils.

Pictures 2 and 4 could be bone. (need more pictures to be sure). The rest are rock (possibly volcanic).

6 minutes ago, Wolf52893 said:

There are hundreds if not thousands of these on a beach by me, any idea what this means?

Means there is a close by exposure of that type of rock.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

15 minutes ago, Wolf52893 said:

There is some debate on this, and I think the answer is sometimes. Mainly, this checks if the rock is porous. If the spongy bone is filled with a mineral, it won’t work. Also, ceteceans have thick outer bone walls So basically, if it passes it’s porous (bones and some non-bone rocks are porous) and of it doesn’t, it’s not (most rocks and some bones aren’t). So it’s shakey at best.

Happy hunting,

Mason

6 minutes ago, ynot said:

possibly volcanic

If indeed from NC, I’d assume not. Here is a picture of slag from the internet for reference:

DBD52003-A321-4DE6-A7F6-3A8044DDC89E.png

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 hours ago, Wolf52893 said:

Vesicular basalt found on a NC beach sounds like a ships ballast to me.

• I found this Informative 2