Kem Kem Dinosaur Offerings

14 minutes ago, Masp said:

@Troodon How much of this spinosaurid tooth is fabricated?

And then in the second set of pictures the seller claims it’s Albelisaurid , I think it’s in rough shape but is it Carc? 

11330FE5-E665-49BB-803B-CBD9E4F488FB.jpeg

I would avoid this tooth.  Just too much going on to properly diagnose  what is going on.  The black area on crown may indicate a repair or composite.

19 minutes ago, Masp said:

Pterosaur teeth?

Yes

• I found this Informative 1

Wow.  Looking at those and the explanations of what's going on, I'm feeling pretty lucky with the two Carchara teeth I bought.  I may have made out better than most of the other buyers.  I saw those same Spino teeth for sale, and he had a number of others.  Those went for $150+ on the larger rooted ones.  He takes good photos and doesn't claim they've never been restored, even if he doesn't elaborate on just how much they are. So, in a lot ways I feel like we can't blame anyone but ourselves when we buy them not knowing what we're looking at.  I'll certainly need to post any future purchases here.  I could have done far worse than I did out of ignorance, than to get a couple of nice crowns.

Edited by avenger
  • I found this Informative 2

28 minutes ago, Masp said:

And then in the second set of pictures the seller claims it’s Albelisaurid , I think it’s in rough shape but is it Carc

Correct not an Abelisaurid could be a Carch but I think its one of indeterminate ones.  Its in rough shspe and not enough pictures to seee what going on with the root.   Looks like some fill to the very bottom.

• I found this Informative 2

7 minutes ago, avenger said:

Wow.  Looking at those and the explanations of what's going on, I'm feeling pretty lucky with the two Carchara teeth I bought.  I may have made out better than most of the other buyers.  I saw those same Spino teeth for sale, and he had a number of others.  Those went for $150+ on the larger rooted ones.  He takes good photos and doesn't claim they've never been restored, even if he doesn't elaborate on just how much they are. So, in a lot ways I feel like we can't blame anyone but ourselves when we buy them not knowing what we're looking at.  I'll certainly need to post any future purchases here.  I could have done far worse than I did out of ignorance, than to get a couple of nice crowns.

Why collectors need to join the forum

10 hours ago, Troodon said:

Museum grade Spinosaurus toe with claw being offered.  What you have is a Spinosaurid foot claw with a carpal, hand, bone.  The back end of the claw looks funny may have some fill, blood groove looks fabricated.

5b268a8068fbc_s-l1600(16).thumb.jpg.b22ff4d1c77bf3b07f08ce4b3ad93429.jpg

Wait, wasn't this sold a while back? I remember bidding on it (nowhere near the winning price)..... why is it up for auction again.....come to think of it a few other listings were also offered for auction a while back and each had a winner, and now they back up for auction again!.

Anyway, thanks for this thread, i have learnt so much about Moroccan fossils just by reading threads such as this! hopefully others interested in Moroccan fossils will know what to look out for.

19 minutes ago, talon22 said:

Wait, wasn't this sold a while back? I remember bidding on it (nowhere near the winning price)..... why is it up for auction again.....come to think of it a few other listings were also offered for auction a while back and each had a winner, and now they back up for auction again!.

Anyway, thanks for this thread, i have learnt so much about Moroccan fossils just by reading threads such as this! hopefully others interested in Moroccan fossils will know what to look out for.

Thanks, learning is why these threads are important.

You are correct it was sold on June 5.  Possible reasons include bidder did not pay or it was a shrill bid.  Something is very suspicious if it's more than a one off. 

Yeah, there are a number of items back up, I think 4 or 5.  He sold a lot of other items like these too, at the time these sold.  I doubt he'd list them so soon after if he was somehow doing something unscrupulous.  Most likely one or two buyers that didn't pay up, or negotiated backing out.

Looking at some of the rooted teeth, I see a lot of fill.  You guys taught me that. ;)

Wait, is this even a root? Looks like a bunch of sand and glue wrapped around something.

s-l16001 (2).jpg

s-l16002.jpg

On 6/17/2018 at 10:59 PM, avenger said:

Wait, is this even a root? Looks like a bunch of sand and glue wrapped around something.

Ha ha I call that a surprise package Spino tooth,  a special gift awaits you when you clean it all up :o but you have to buy it first.