Intriguing Pattern in Pennsylvanian Nodule

deutscheben

Over the winter I was freezing and thawing nodules found in reclaimed coal mine spoils from the Pennsylvanian Shelburn Formation, Busseron Sandstone from Vigo County Indiana. These contain flora and rare fauna similar to the Braidwood Biota from Mazon Creek. This nodule split off a tiny bit on one end and I set aside for further investigation after a quick glance revealed an interesting pattern. Then I forgot about until I was recently unpacking from a move, and re-examined it under magnification. Unfortunately, the piece that split off the end was lost, so I only have the one side, but it shows a small rectangular patch of texture, about 10 mm wide. The piece preserved shows folds and wrinkles, as well as what looks like a tear in the center, and looking under magnification reveals the entire piece is covered with tiny pebbly bumps. 

My first assumption would be plant material, but it doesn't match the texture of any of the other plants I have found at this site. A much less likely option would be a patch of skin from some sort of animal or egg casing. I would like to get it under greater magnification and will try to find an expert to look at it, but I wanted to put the best pictures I was able to take here for y'all's thoughts. Thanks!

5b2410aa3023d_2018-06-1210_56.17_A.thumb.jpg.d8a14985d0e05c088d66438caf584779.jpgIMG_3460_A.JPG.73485b3ce3dc8b4685f47f3ff45a2de0.JPGIMG_3466a.JPG.71e5fa04ea4279f35e92a6461dabbb8d.JPG

I'm staying tuned for this one. :popcorn:

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Looks to be a fish scale. Possibly Sagenotus.

This scale was about 2.5" across.

5b24361a53c28_Sagenotusscale.thumb.JPG.e106c2606ff3c2dbe5cb0414c978626a.JPG

Edited by fossilcrazy
add photo example.
  • I found this Informative 2

Does the whole nodule have those polgonal openings? Do you see any long close-packed tubes? You might be looking at a bryozoan or a sponge. See a post about Chaetetes sponges that has polygonal openings and long parallel tubes: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/85497-petrified-wood-location-nevada-las-vegas/&tab=comments#comment-919421

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 hours ago, fossilcrazy said:

Looks to be a fish scale. Possibly Sagenotus.

This scale was about 2.5" across.

Thanks- a fish scale is certainly a possibility in this deposit, although the preservation seems to indicate that my piece was soft and flexible, unlike most of the large Mazon Creek scales I have seen. 

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Does the whole nodule have those polgonal openings? Do you see any long close-packed tubes? You might be looking at a bryozoan or a sponge. See a post about Chaetetes sponges that has polygonal openings and long parallel tubes: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/85497-petrified-wood-location-nevada-las-vegas/&tab=comments#comment-919421

No sponges or bryozoans have been found in these types of Pennsylvanian deposits- it is thought that this would have been a terrestrial/fresh-water environment devoid of such organisms. I can see the resemblance though.

The wrinkling looks like arthropod (e.g. scorpion) cuticle; I've seen the same in Yorkshire. That pattern, though... I don't know whether there's arthropodan cuticle that looks like that. Bryozoan encusting something is my second thought, and there are freshwater ones (not sure when they evolved), so it's not impossible. Curious!

I was able to take a few more pics under magnification with some better light- I think these give a better idea of the texture:

5b258a9e70a0b_2018-06-1617_06_17.thumb.jpg.70babd0188066538a9acc611a0ec8bc5.jpg

20180616_103725-1.thumb.jpg.6925b5f4e50f3143d372695ae92970bc.jpg

The reticular pattern is too regular to be geological, in my opinion. It reminds me of lizard skin.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I would consider the possibility of shark cartilage. Do you know if any shark material like teeth has been found in the area?

• I found this Informative 3

Shark cartilage is an intriguing possibility, thanks! I am not aware of any sharks found at this specific site, but they have certainly been found in the similar Mazon Creek deposits. 

Interesting to me, since it is very similar to a pattern I find on small orthocone/tentaculites ( I can't yet identify what the 4-6 inch cone like fossils from the U.P. of Michigan, near Newberry are),. t the pattern in the remnants of the animal are like yours.  (Oh, and this was found in a nodule also...from drift, possibly Collingwood

20151125_105309-picsay.jpg

20151125_105518-picsay.jpg

5 hours ago, Archie said:

Awesome piece! My first thought was also shark cartilage.

Thanks! You can see it somewhat in the second picture from my last post, but on some edges it demonstrates a sort of granularity, where it seems to be breaking up into small pieces- is that consistent with cartilage? 

@RCFossils, @fiddlehead, @Nimravis have you seen anything resembling this out of Mazon Creek?

I would agree that this may be shark cartilage. Possibly from a xenacanth type shark.

very nice!

• I found this Informative 4

18 hours ago, RCFossils said:

I would agree that this may be shark cartilage. Possibly from a xenacanth type shark.

very nice!

Thanks! I will go with that as the tentative consensus. It looks like I have some research to do today on the preservation of cartilage in paleozoic sharks. 

13 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Very nice piece.

Thanks!