June 2017 trip Canadian dinosaur park formation

MedicineHat

My June expedition was super fun and interesting to see what I could find. I have lots of unknowns and lots of fossil material that others will be able to help id. 

Thanks in advance for all those that join the discussion and help me figure out my library of dinosaur fossils.

20180611_121510_crop_810x1110.jpg

20180611_083308_crop_785x907.jpg

Some of these I have come across before but to the species I would be grateful to know!

20180612_211148_crop_1080x864.jpg

20180612_211054_crop_589x989.jpg

The adventure was fun. I always like to learn more about what exactly I've collected though. Perhaps this is a turtle claw?

20180612_211039_crop_408x430.jpg

20180612_211028_crop_402x467.jpg

I look forward to the conversation if anyone wants to take a look and discuss the content I posted. 

Amazing material! You are very lucky! Is the large tyrannosaurid tooth Gorgosaurus or Daspletosaurus

Also these aren't from the Dinosaur Park Formation of Dinosaur Provincial Park though, right? As i am pretty sure collecting there is off limits. 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Very nice fossils, I like them very much! Thanks for showing them :) Reminds me of my fieldwork in Dinosaur Provincial Park (DPP) last year. I think all of the theropod teeth are tyrannosaurid, I'm thinking Daspletosaurus.

@Paleoworld-101 is right though, I hope they aren't from DPP, as the collection of any vertebrate fossil - no matter how common - is illegal over there.

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

3 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Very nice fossils, I like them very much! Thanks for showing them :) Reminds me of my fieldwork in Dinosaur Provincial Park (DPP) last year. I think all of the theropod teeth are tyrannosaurid, I'm thinking Daspletosaurus.

@Paleoworld-101 is right though, I hope they aren't from DPP, as the collection of any vertebrate fossil - no matter how common - is illegal over there.

6 hours ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

Amazing material! You are very lucky! Is the large tyrannosaurid tooth Gorgosaurus or Daspletosaurus

Also these aren't from the Dinosaur Park Formation of Dinosaur Provincial Park though, right? As i am pretty sure collecting there is off limits. 

No. I am aware of the legalities. This is dinosaur park formation east of the park. Not DPP. 

I guess that gorgo or daspletosaurus are the reasonable possibilities but I don't believe it is possible to identify these teeth unless you find them in the skull.

The big tooth is 3.25 inches and 100% pristine condition. Best bigger one I've collected.

The hoof pieces are my very first ever collected. Looking for years and then found 3. Probably just couldn't see them. Ha.

3 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

What kind of work were you doing at DPP? What were the highlights discovered?

Awesome finds! I am envious of all you Dino hunters! 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

And maybe they have some envy of Calvert Cliffs hunters.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

6 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Any maybe they have some envy of Calvert Cliffs hunters.

They are always welcome here:D

Grass is Always Greener syndrome

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

25 minutes ago, MedicineHat said:

What kind of work were you doing at DPP? What were the highlights discovered?

Volunteer fieldwork for the University of Alberta, during 2 weeks. We were a team of volunteers and researchers, led by Phil Currie and Eva Koppelhus. I think the team's over there right now - I'd have loved to be there with them this year. 

It was absolutely wonderful :) - I worked in bonebeds, quarries, microsites and did some prospection. I can't really give you many details about the big stuff that was found by us, but I did make some rather neat finds (mostly at microsites - sorry I can't give you the location of them either...): 

1st microsite: large ceratopsian vertebra (eroded, unfortunately), an "exploded" tyrannosaur tooth, a few ornithischian teeth, some fish bits (including one neat vertebra), a champsosaur vertebra, a partial ornithomimid manual phalanx, and -best of all- a neat little champsosaur tooth

2nd microsite: a few fish bits, a crocodile tooth, 3 dromaeosaurid teeth, an ornithomimid pedal ungual (toe claw)

3rd microsite (discovered by me and another team member): 2 large, slightly eroded limb bones and one crocodile tooth (with the complete root!)

4th microsite (discovered by me and that same team member): a few ornithischian teeth, and 2 tyrannosaurid teeth less than 20 cm away from each other! (sadly no other remains)

5th microsite (discovered by me): a few ceratopsian teeth, an ankylosaurid tooth, a few fish bits, and 2 partial tyrannosaurid teeth

I also worked on a few larger-scale projects of which I am currently not at the liberty of disclosing any information - sorry 'bout that :mellow:

Anyways where were you prospecting? I'd love to try my hand at that spot, it seemed rather fossiliferous ;) 

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

Any maybe they have some envy of Calvert Cliffs hunters.

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

So I've done both for tons of years so who should envious of? :D 

@caldigger @Troodon What fossils can one find at Calvert Cliffs?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

2 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Volunteer fieldwork for the University of Alberta, during 2 weeks. We were a team of volunteers and researchers, led by Phil Currie and Eva Koppelhus. I think the team's over there right now - I'd have loved to be there with them this year. 

It was absolutely wonderful :) - I worked in bonebeds, quarries, microsites and did some prospection. I can't really give you many details about the big stuff that was found by us, but I did make some rather neat finds (mostly at microsites - sorry I can't give you the location of them either...): 

1st microsite: large ceratopsian vertebra (eroded, unfortunately), an "exploded" tyrannosaur tooth, a few ornithischian teeth, some fish bits (including one neat vertebra), a champsosaur vertebra, a partial ornithomimid manual phalanx, and -best of all- a neat little champsosaur tooth

2nd microsite: a few fish bits, a crocodile tooth, 3 dromaeosaurid teeth, an ornithomimid pedal ungual (toe claw)

3rd microsite (discovered by me and another team member): 2 large, slightly eroded limb bones and one crocodile tooth (with the complete root!)

4th microsite (discovered by me and that same team member): a few ornithischian teeth, and 2 tyrannosaurid teeth less than 20 cm away from each other! (sadly no other remains)

5th microsite (discovered by me): a few ceratopsian teeth, an ankylosaurid tooth, a few fish bits, and 2 partial tyrannosaurid teeth

I also worked on a few larger-scale projects of which I am currently not at the liberty of disclosing any information - sorry 'bout that :mellow:

Anyways where were you prospecting? I'd love to try my hand at that spot, it seemed rather fossiliferous ;) 

Cool!

I didn't know the DPP was so G14 classified haha. Well sounds like you had some great experiences and helped advance the knowledge. 

Pretty much anywhere in red deer river where you see outcroppings east or west of DPP. Best way in is usually by canoe but you can try access near bridges. My site is straight north of medicine hat along rd river

34 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Looks like a rewarding fun trip.  Especially like the ungual and tyrannosaurid tooth

Is the large ungual ceratopsian?

Archived