Jump to content
MedicineHat

June 2017 trip Canadian dinosaur park formation

Recommended Posts

MedicineHat

My June expedition was super fun and interesting to see what I could find. I have lots of unknowns and lots of fossil material that others will be able to help id. 

 

Thanks in advance for all those that join the discussion and help me figure out my library of dinosaur fossils.

20180611_121510_crop_810x1110.jpg

20180611_083308_crop_785x907.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MedicineHat

Lots of big pieces...

20180611_090211_crop_818x936.jpg

20180611_090820_crop_800x932.jpg

20180611_091514_crop_772x1008.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MedicineHat

20180611_092307_crop_834x1058.jpg

20180611_092426_crop_796x818.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MedicineHat

And more...

20180611_092307_crop_834x1058.jpg

20180611_092426_crop_796x818.jpg

20180611_104006_crop_768x1030.jpg

20180611_105640_crop_810x850.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MedicineHat

Bone petrified wood and other goodies...

20180611_111401_crop_691x691.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MedicineHat

And some more micro fossils

20180612_210736_crop_818x1084.jpg

20180612_210755_crop_691x691.jpg

20180612_210818_crop_822x890.jpg

20180612_210954_crop_516x574.jpg

20180612_210947_crop_450x444.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MedicineHat

A nice toe bone... any ideas?

20180616_000917_crop_691x691.jpg

20180616_000939_crop_691x691.jpg

20180616_001011_crop_691x708.jpg

20180616_001020_crop_691x691.jpg

20180616_001029_crop_597x602.jpg

20180616_001042_crop_546x525.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MedicineHat

A few more teeth and other pieces that might be spikes or leaverites...?

20180612_211104.jpg

20180612_211137_crop_964x796.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MedicineHat

Some of these I have come across before but to the species I would be grateful to know!

20180612_211148_crop_1080x864.jpg

20180612_211054_crop_589x989.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MedicineHat

The adventure was fun. I always like to learn more about what exactly I've collected though. Perhaps this is a turtle claw?

20180612_211039_crop_408x430.jpg

20180612_211028_crop_402x467.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MedicineHat

I look forward to the conversation if anyone wants to take a look and discuss the content I posted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paleoworld-101

Amazing material! You are very lucky! Is the large tyrannosaurid tooth Gorgosaurus or Daspletosaurus

 

Also these aren't from the Dinosaur Park Formation of Dinosaur Provincial Park though, right? As i am pretty sure collecting there is off limits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Amateur Paleontologist

Very nice fossils, I like them very much! Thanks for showing them :) Reminds me of my fieldwork in Dinosaur Provincial Park (DPP) last year. I think all of the theropod teeth are tyrannosaurid, I'm thinking Daspletosaurus.

@Paleoworld-101 is right though, I hope they aren't from DPP, as the collection of any vertebrate fossil - no matter how common - is illegal over there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MedicineHat
3 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Very nice fossils, I like them very much! Thanks for showing them :) Reminds me of my fieldwork in Dinosaur Provincial Park (DPP) last year. I think all of the theropod teeth are tyrannosaurid, I'm thinking Daspletosaurus.

@Paleoworld-101 is right though, I hope they aren't from DPP, as the collection of any vertebrate fossil - no matter how common - is illegal over there.

 

6 hours ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

Amazing material! You are very lucky! Is the large tyrannosaurid tooth Gorgosaurus or Daspletosaurus

 

Also these aren't from the Dinosaur Park Formation of Dinosaur Provincial Park though, right? As i am pretty sure collecting there is off limits. 

No. I am aware of the legalities. This is dinosaur park formation east of the park. Not DPP. 

I guess that gorgo or daspletosaurus are the reasonable possibilities but I don't believe it is possible to identify these teeth unless you find them in the skull.

The big tooth is 3.25 inches and 100% pristine condition. Best bigger one I've collected.

The hoof pieces are my very first ever collected. Looking for years and then found 3. Probably just couldn't see them. Ha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MedicineHat
3 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Very nice fossils, I like them very much! Thanks for showing them :) Reminds me of my fieldwork in Dinosaur Provincial Park (DPP) last year. I think all of the theropod teeth are tyrannosaurid, I'm thinking Daspletosaurus.

@Paleoworld-101 is right though, I hope they aren't from DPP, as the collection of any vertebrate fossil - no matter how common - is illegal over there.

What kind of work were you doing at DPP? What were the highlights discovered?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD

Awesome finds! I am envious of all you Dino hunters! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger
3 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Awesome finds! I am envious of all you Dino hunters! 

And maybe they have some envy of Calvert Cliffs hunters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD
6 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Any maybe they have some envy of Calvert Cliffs hunters.

They are always welcome here:D

Grass is Always Greener syndrome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Amateur Paleontologist
25 minutes ago, MedicineHat said:

What kind of work were you doing at DPP? What were the highlights discovered?

 

Volunteer fieldwork for the University of Alberta, during 2 weeks. We were a team of volunteers and researchers, led by Phil Currie and Eva Koppelhus. I think the team's over there right now - I'd have loved to be there with them this year. 

It was absolutely wonderful :) - I worked in bonebeds, quarries, microsites and did some prospection. I can't really give you many details about the big stuff that was found by us, but I did make some rather neat finds (mostly at microsites - sorry I can't give you the location of them either...): 

1st microsite: large ceratopsian vertebra (eroded, unfortunately), an "exploded" tyrannosaur tooth, a few ornithischian teeth, some fish bits (including one neat vertebra), a champsosaur vertebra, a partial ornithomimid manual phalanx, and -best of all- a neat little champsosaur tooth

2nd microsite: a few fish bits, a crocodile tooth, 3 dromaeosaurid teeth, an ornithomimid pedal ungual (toe claw)

3rd microsite (discovered by me and another team member): 2 large, slightly eroded limb bones and one crocodile tooth (with the complete root!)

4th microsite (discovered by me and that same team member): a few ornithischian teeth, and 2 tyrannosaurid teeth less than 20 cm away from each other! (sadly no other remains)

5th microsite (discovered by me): a few ceratopsian teeth, an ankylosaurid tooth, a few fish bits, and 2 partial tyrannosaurid teeth

I also worked on a few larger-scale projects of which I am currently not at the liberty of disclosing any information - sorry 'bout that :mellow:

Anyways where were you prospecting? I'd love to try my hand at that spot, it seemed rather fossiliferous ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Troodon

Looks like a rewarding fun trip.  Especially like the ungual and tyrannosaurid tooth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Troodon
2 hours ago, caldigger said:

Any maybe they have some envy of Calvert Cliffs hunters.

 

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Awesome finds! I am envious of all you Dino hunters! 

So I've done both for tons of years so who should envious of? :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Amateur Paleontologist

@caldigger @Troodon What fossils can one find at Calvert Cliffs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MedicineHat
2 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

 

Volunteer fieldwork for the University of Alberta, during 2 weeks. We were a team of volunteers and researchers, led by Phil Currie and Eva Koppelhus. I think the team's over there right now - I'd have loved to be there with them this year. 

It was absolutely wonderful :) - I worked in bonebeds, quarries, microsites and did some prospection. I can't really give you many details about the big stuff that was found by us, but I did make some rather neat finds (mostly at microsites - sorry I can't give you the location of them either...): 

1st microsite: large ceratopsian vertebra (eroded, unfortunately), an "exploded" tyrannosaur tooth, a few ornithischian teeth, some fish bits (including one neat vertebra), a champsosaur vertebra, a partial ornithomimid manual phalanx, and -best of all- a neat little champsosaur tooth

2nd microsite: a few fish bits, a crocodile tooth, 3 dromaeosaurid teeth, an ornithomimid pedal ungual (toe claw)

3rd microsite (discovered by me and another team member): 2 large, slightly eroded limb bones and one crocodile tooth (with the complete root!)

4th microsite (discovered by me and that same team member): a few ornithischian teeth, and 2 tyrannosaurid teeth less than 20 cm away from each other! (sadly no other remains)

5th microsite (discovered by me): a few ceratopsian teeth, an ankylosaurid tooth, a few fish bits, and 2 partial tyrannosaurid teeth

I also worked on a few larger-scale projects of which I am currently not at the liberty of disclosing any information - sorry 'bout that :mellow:

Anyways where were you prospecting? I'd love to try my hand at that spot, it seemed rather fossiliferous ;) 

Cool!

I didn't know the DPP was so G14 classified haha. Well sounds like you had some great experiences and helped advance the knowledge. 

Pretty much anywhere in red deer river where you see outcroppings east or west of DPP. Best way in is usually by canoe but you can try access near bridges. My site is straight north of medicine hat along rd river

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MedicineHat
34 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Looks like a rewarding fun trip.  Especially like the ungual and tyrannosaurid tooth

Is the large ungual ceratopsian?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×