DSMJake

Montana Recommendations

DSMJake

I've got an upcoming trip to Montana starting in Great Falls but spending most of our time in Flathead Valley. I'm thinking of going through Bynum to stop at Two Medicine Dinosaur Center, but was wondering if anyone had recommendations for other places to hit (sites, museums, shops, etc). Thanks!

CBchiefski

Flathead is a nice area, you absolutely should stop at the center and if you can afford it, the dig programs are a blast for anyone interested in fieldwork. Just across from the center is the rock stop where Jack Horner found the baby Maiasaura bones plus you can pick up another fossil or two there. In Chouteau about 20 minutes south, assuming the road work does not slow you down, is the Old Trail Museum which has several exhibits on the Two Medicine and quite a bit on the human culture of the region.  Just South of Chouteau along Highway 287 is a sign on Egg Mountain and a brief history of the incredible discoveries there which changed the direction of paleontology. Note the sign is not actually on Egg MTN but on a clear day, you can see it if you look to the Northwest. 

Now if you have a bit more time, to the Northeast of Bynum are several small museums, the Rudyard Depot Museum, H. Earl Clack Memorial Museum, and Blaine County Museum. A bit further out is the Great Plains Museum, which has several exhibits on Hadrosaurs.  About 3 hours South of Bynum is the Museum of the Rockies and if you can afford the extra time, it is not to be missed. A great resource for the paleo museums within the state is the Montana Dinosaur Trail: http://mtdinotrail.org/

Full disclosure, I have worked at a few of the places I listed and am currently working for the Two Med Dino Center plus accessing MOR's collections often.  

DSMJake

Wow, it’s great to get info from a local! I had planned on just spending a half-day at the center, but now I’m thinking about making a return trip for a dig program. Thanks!

CBchiefski

Happy to help, the center is fairly small so even with reading everything, it normally does not take a half-day, that said if you have many questions then well lets just say I have spent nearly an entire day with two visitors haha. Saw in a different post you have kids, and it sounds like they are very interested in paleo, in which case the dig programs would be great for them to see the field and what paleontology is truly about. Here is more info from the center's website: http://www.tmdinosaurcenter.org/short-programs