Having trouble identifying this one

Collin

This was found in a pile of old stones near my home (countryside of western New York State not that far from the shores of Lake Ontario.) the rocks were delivered to put down in a stone driveway and I happened to stumble across this a year or so ago. I would love to know what it is/was. 

F2D0BAFC-E12F-44FB-8876-B0C574A96E17.jpeg

E4AA66CF-FBC6-47B8-A5FF-1EFF43706773.jpeg

Mold of a crinoid columnal known as a nodal. The small circle is where a cirrus was attached.

The curved lines are your fossil...  might be a mollusk although there's a tooth shape going on here. There's not a whole lot to go on.

This rock would definitely catch my eye and go in the pocket. The circular inclusion? adds interest, as well. Very nice.

Welcome to TFF:)

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

I am having trouble gauging the size of it. Also, I am curious about the void I can see at the top edge in the second picture.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

3 hours ago, Auspex said:

I am having trouble gauging the size of it. Also, I am curious about the void I can see at the top edge in the second picture.

It's a chip out of the remaining edge of a columnal a little over one cm in diameter as I see it.

19 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

It's a chip out of the remaining edge of a columnal a little over one cm in diameter as I see it.

I've not seen crinoid shapes with a curvature in section like that so I'm gonna throw this out as a possibility...

My mind wants to shear a section showing a couple septa from an orthocone nautiloid at an angle to expose the siphuncle which would produce that circular feature......but my brain gets way overzealous admittedly and that organic tea I just started taking aint helping.......

An example from another fossil forum post.

Image result for orthocone section siphuncle

Maybe? 

Regards, Chris 

Welcome to the forum. That's an interesting piece but there just may not be enough visible for a good ID. The rock looks very hard but if not maybe you can chisel some of the matrix away for a better look. Can anyone tell us how old something from that area might be?

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, BobWill said:

Can anyone tell us how old something from that area might be?

I believe Devonian would be the odds on.

Orthocone did occur to me as well. It's a little hard to determine which surface is which from the angle it is exposed.

I'm also having trouble identifying it, because I don't know where it came from, it hasn't a comparative scale beside, there's only one side shown, and the specimen is partially embedded in the matrix. What is sure, is that  the matrix is a pebble (or cobble), rounded on all sides, which indicate it was naturally transported material by rivers or glaciers before it was transported and deposited in the location where it was found. I think, there are also other possibilities along the ones suggested before, like anellid / serpulid worm tube(s), rudist(s), or something else. Hard to say with certainty in an equation with too many unknowns. My guess could be worm tube(s), but it's just a guess. :)

1490021527886.jpg.0b7bed693b0fda0ac845ecadbb8db0c9.jpg

picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Articulating facets of the adjacent internodal ?

As support for my theory.

The axis would be from the upper left corner of the photo running to the lower right of the viewer. 

E4AA66CF-FBC6-47B8-A5FF-1EFF43706773.thumb.jpeg.6181390db3e370de98b1298f2fbfd8ee_LI.jpg

Interesting....

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Articulating facets of the adjacent internodal ?

As support for my theory.

The axis would be from the upper left corner of the photo running to the lower right of the viewer. 

3 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I'm also having trouble identifying it, because I don't know where it came from, it hasn't a comparative scale beside, there's only one side shown, and the specimen is partially embedded in the matrix. What is sure, is that  the matrix is a pebble (or cobble), rounded on all sides, which indicate it was naturally transported material by rivers or glaciers before it was transported and deposited in the location where it was found. I think, there are also other possibilities along the ones suggested before, like anellid / serpulid worm tube(s), rudist(s), or something else. Hard to say with certainty in an equation with too many unknowns. My guess could be worm tube(s), but it's just a guess. :)

picture from here

This one is still driving me a little nuts as the less obvious normally do...I wonder if one was to polish the face flat would any internal structure/details be visible that might add a clue or two? Could just make it worse and obliterate what is there but just wondering? 

Regards, Chris 

7 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Could just make it worse and obliterate what is there

I'm thinkin'.

It might be a claw.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg