estero scallop, pleistocene, id?

dalmayshun

I came across this beautiful scallop, and unfortunately it was tightly bonded to a piece of limestone ( I only had my fingers to chip it out, and that wouldn't have worked, couldn't even dig at the hard clay) but it was so beautiful with all the little spines. when I tried to i.d. it from the Florida Paleontology site, I could only come up with Antillipecten antillarum...is that a good guess, or does someone have a better one. Perhaps someone recognizes it instantly. I found it on a construction site near Estero FL, which means it is probably pleistocene. Thanks. 

gulfcoast area.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Hey Rod, thats something different isnt it. Nice! Was there just the one? Are the wings there, can it be prepped easily? I've seen some Lindapecten/Aequipecten's that look similar--rough scallops. Yours has some wider spaced ribbing but similar ornamentation...

http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=image&tid=420761&pic=62884  

Aequipecten muscosus

http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=420761#images

@MikeR

Hoping Mike can set us straight as I'm just guessing. 

Thanks for showing us! 

Regards, Chris 

Nice shell !

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Chris, I couldn't get the shell out of its matrix to even pick it up...I didn't have any tools along. I was on a shopping trip with my wife, and saw the construction debris across the street, so i walked over and looked. I am hoping to go back this afternoon with a few tools and see if I can chip it out....or expose more of it. It is intriguing to me. I have seen lots of scallop types in Florida and have never seen one of these...admittedly, maybe I have seen them with all the little spines broken off, but I don't remember anything like this one. So I will try later to get it. 

Lindapecten muscosus LINK.  In terms of geology, I am thinking Upper Pliocene Golden Gate Member of the Tamiami Formation which is mined just a tad bit south of Estero.  The Neogene Atlas does not list it from the Tamiami but there are numerous records of it from the Florida Pliocene in the Florida Invertebrate Paleontology Database and I have found L. mucosus in pretty much every member of the Tamiami including the Ochopee, Golden Gate, Pinecrest, and lowermost Tamiami.

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Beautiful shell! Can't help with an ID, but Estero is just down the road from me, and most of my finds are plio pleistocene.

4 hours ago, MikeR said:

Lindapecten muscosus LINK.  In terms of geology, I am thinking Upper Pliocene Golden Gate Member of the Tamiami Formation which is mined just a tad bit south of Estero.  The Neogene Atlas does not list it from the Tamiami but there are numerous records of it from the Florida Pliocene in the Florida Invertebrate Paleontology Database and I have found L. mucosus in pretty much every member of the Tamiami including the Ochopee, Golden Gate, Pinecrest, and lowermost Tamiami.

Mike

Thanks Mike for the expertise/help! 

Looks like you've seen them quite a bit which is intriguing. You got me thinking about why I havent picked one of these up before and whether I've overlooked them somehow. I"m going thru some boxes again....

Regards, Chris 

Thanks so much, Chris for getting Mike to look at it... I went back today to try to collect it  but i only got a piece of broken shell. I did find some other cool things though, including an interesting coral... Ill post photos of those this week under trips, and possibly another id request. Again thanks everyone for the help

On 6/18/2018 at 12:49 AM, dalmayshun said:

Thanks so much, Chris for getting Mike to look at it... I went back today to try to collect it  but i only got a piece of broken shell. I did find some other cool things though, including an interesting coral... Ill post photos of those this week under trips, and possibly another id request. Again thanks everyone for the help

Sorry to hear you werent able to snag it for some prepping. I havent been able to find anything in my boxes that is similar and intrigued by Mike's saying there around in quite a few members...I apparently need to look closer. Thanks for the thread! Regards, Chris