Baryonyx Tooth

Dracorex_hogwartsia

I see where this tooth just recently sold on an auction site. It was sold as a Baryonyx tooth and although I have never actually seen a real one I do have a cast of one and it looks almost identical. If this is truly a Baryonyx tooth, that was a major score for somebody. Anyone on the forum happen to luck out and get this tooth?

Baryonyx tooth4a83a162-c363-4c46-9ba8-5beb8aa153bc.jpg

Baryonyx tooth71af6dcb-f6a5-4102-b85f-82f966f56a8b.jpg

Baryonyx tooth2843ace9-4f57-48f7-a8bf-3940e1d1542b.jpg

Baryonyx tooth4566c117-d6c6-438b-b817-1644b01c984b.jpg

Baryonyx tootha62b88d9-00e9-4c94-aa9c-f90f38ca20f6.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

21 minutes ago, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

I see where this tooth just recently sold on an auction site. It was sold as a Baryonyx tooth and although I have never actually seen a real one I do have a cast of one and it looks almost identical. If this is truly a Baryonyx tooth, that was a major score for somebody. Anyone on the forum happen to luck out and get this tooth?

I am the lucky owner of this tooth! Here it is next to my other baryonyx tooth 

548B3BE7-3A67-4A17-B9D7-313DAE6B0E9B.jpeg

Well congratulations! That is an absolutely beautiful and rare tooth! If I'm not mistaken haven't you picked up some other beautiful teeth recently. A Diplodocus and Bothriospondylus tooth. 

Looks legit to me, but perhaps a better expert would be @Troodon

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, WhodamanHD said:

Looks legit to me, but perhaps a better expert would be @Troodon

It is legit. I own it and see it up close first hand 

1 minute ago, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

Well congratulations! That is an absolutely beautiful and rare tooth! If I'm not mistaken haven't you picked up some other beautiful teeth recently. A Diplodocus and Bothriospondylus tooth. 

Thank you, it’s a great tooth, I’m lucky to own it!

Just the diplodocus tooth, the other one got away sadly! Will be getting an iguanodon tooth in the near future which I’ll share :) 

Well you're doing great for such a short period of time. I've been collecting dinosaur teeth for over 20 years now and do not have a Baryonyx or Iguanodon tooth. 

4 minutes ago, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

Well you're doing great for such a short period of time. I've been collecting dinosaur teeth for over 20 years now and do not have a Baryonyx or Iguanodon tooth. 

Thank you!

id love to see what teeth you own if you have images of them somewhere?

4 minutes ago, paulyb135 said:

Will be getting an iguanodon tooth in the near future which I’ll share :) 

Really?! You're gonna share it with us?  How nice of you.

So how are we going to do this, take turns holding onto it for a period then send it to another member when our time is up? :rofl:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 minutes ago, paulyb135 said:

Thank you!

id love to see what teeth you own if you have images of them somewhere?

I've posted a few things on the forum over the years but I'm afraid I don't have a picture library of all my teeth. I did at one time but lost them all in a hard drive crash! Any pictures now, I have to take at that moment.

Baryonyx teeth has very small serrations on the carinae. But it also has vertical ridges on the enamel. I´m not seeing the vertical ridges on this.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

3 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Baryonyx teeth has very small serrations on the carinae. But it also has vertical ridges on the enamel. I´m not seeing the vertical ridges on this.

The cast I have of this tooth does have some faint vertical ridges on one side but the other side is smooth. The shape of his tooth though is identical to my cast.

19 minutes ago, caldigger said:

So how are we going to do this, take turns holding onto it for a period then send it to another member when our time is up? :rofl:

Yep that’s it :dinothumb::ighappy:

13 minutes ago, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

The cast I have of this tooth does have some faint vertical ridges on one side but the other side is smooth. The shape of his tooth though is identical to my cast.

Alright that seems consistent with Baryonyx. Pretty cool.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

23 minutes ago, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

I've posted a few things on the forum over the years but I'm afraid I don't have a picture library of all my teeth. I did at one time but lost them all in a hard drive crash! Any pictures now, I have to take at that moment.

I’d love to see some pics of your best/rarest teeth you have ! 

7 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Alright that seems consistent with Baryonyx. Pretty cool.

My tooth has faint vertical ridges. I would also add the tip has been restored.

to confirm, it is not a cast and is 100% real. I have seen casts of teeth and this is not one of them. 

1 hour ago, paulyb135 said:

I am the lucky owner of this tooth! Here it is next to my other baryonyx tooth 

548B3BE7-3A67-4A17-B9D7-313DAE6B0E9B.jpeg

Reverse

007CFA66-74A1-4B8C-AA9A-D8DD762265A0.jpeg

5 hours ago, caldigger said:

There should be some sort of competition and the winner keeps it until the next event, like a soccer match. I’d like to be part of the first tourney.

3 hours ago, garyc said:

There should be some sort of competition and the winner keeps it until the next event, like a soccer match. I’d like to be part of the first tourney.

I’ll draw some names out of a hat ;)

12 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Not an expert, but I agree,  just reading the pdf Troodon added indicate the serrations should be 7 per mm don't seem to be present. The other interesting feature that I see are the undulations in the face of the crown are not consistent with examples in the paper.  The real curvature is also unknown because of the resto to the front end of the tooth.  Not saying it not one just pointing out  anomalies compared to the paper and I'm not holding the tooth.