Baryonyx Tooth

Dracorex_hogwartsia

22 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

Not an expert, but I agree,  just reading the pdf Troodon added indicate the serrations should be 7 per mm don't seem to be present. The other interesting feature that I see are the undulations in the face of the crown are not consistent with examples in the paper.  The real curvature is also unknown because of the resto to the front end of the tooth.  Not saying it not one just pointing out  anomalies compared to the paper and I'm not holding the tooth.

As stated above the tip has been restored so it may not have been done as well as it could have been hence giving it more of a curvature.

There are anomalies with all teeth and not every tooth will have all the features that are written in the book due to a number of circumstances. 

i know this is a baryonyx tooth and I’m lucky to have it in my collection 

For my own peace of mind I went and checked and there are serrations albeit they aren’t massively prominent due to wear :dinothumb:

like some women this tooth looks better in the flesh :heartylaugh:

hope this has clarified a few doubts.

Paul

For information to everyone, serrations on Brayonyx teeth are not your typical denticles.  They need to be viewed under magnification at should look like this and be clear and distinctive.  Not to be confused with the nicks, bumps and dings of a smooth carina seen on Crocodylomorphs. 

Screenshot_20180617-053149.jpg.0280a42f290e6789631f5da09a889645.jpg

4 minutes ago, Troodon said:

For information to everyone, serrations on Brayonyx teeth are not your typical denticles.  They need to be viewed under magnification at should look like this and be clear and distinctive.  Not to be confused with the nicks, bumps and dings of a smooth carina seen on Crocodylomorphs. 

Screenshot_20180617-053149.jpg.0280a42f290e6789631f5da09a889645.jpg

Thanks for sharing. The tooth has this :dinothumb:

21 hours ago, paulyb135 said:

My tooth has faint vertical ridges. I would also add the tip has been restored.

to confirm, it is not a cast and is 100% real. I have seen casts of teeth and this is not one of them. 

The auction said "Glued back on tip - 100 percent original tooth - no restoration". Is that not the case? Has the tip been restored? There is a big difference between the tip being reattached and the tip being restored. It would call into question the accuracy of the look of the tooth.

The auction is actually incorrect. The tip has been restored so there shouldn’t be such a strong curvature in my opinion. 

this being said, it doesn’t actually bother me like I’m sure it would a lot of people on here and I still fully appreciate this rare tooth. 

I like to think of my glass as half full...just saying:shrug: An incredible tooth and it could well be a Baryonyx tooth unless someone can definitively prove that it is not. Like @paulyb135 says it is likely that not everything can be found documented and there are likely to be exceptions to what people have discovered about the typical characteristics of a particular tooth.

I am just going to appreciate how beautiful of a tooth it is no matter the species that it originates from :drool: :envy:

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

Yes, it is definitely Baryonyx, 100 percent, no doubt and a lovely tooth at that even being worn as anyone can clearly see it is, but It has serrations. The tooth is oval in cross section, it has wrinkled enamel and there are clear serrations. This tooth was sold in good faith. I acquired this tooth from a reputable dealer/collector on the IOW and I asked all the right questions and the previous owner categorically stated that the tooth had only one repair, nothing else and was all tooth! I have kept all email correspondence. I would be very surprised if there was any restoration. I can't and couldn't see any sign of any. I think the look has more to do with the tooth being repaired and not doing a perfect job. For those interested, take a look at the long front premax tooth in the type specimen of Baryonyx, notice anything unusual?

I wish I could have kept it for myself ...   :envy:  but unfortunately I needed to sell.

Hope this helps.

Archived