So we finally made it out to GMR to do some hunting. We left Greensboro about 7 am and arrived around 9:15. We walked around for a little bit to scout some areas, and finally found a good starting point. It was slow at first, but we started making really good progress when I found a 2" goblin shark tooth. We continued on throughout most of the day finding tooth, after tooth, after tooth... We found several Meg fragments, some super nice great whites, mako's, 3 mosasaur teeth (the smaller round one might possibly be a crocodile but were not 100% sure), and quite a few belimnites. After we finished for the day we stopped by @powelli1's house so he could check out some of our finds. He's a great guy and has an absolutely amazing fossil collection. When I say he has 15,000 fossils in one room, I'm not exaggerating whatsoever... He helped confirm the ID's of some of our finds, and was kind enough to give us a tour of his collection in the process. After heading home we decided to photograph some of the nicer finds and count everything we brought back. All together we had 944 shark teeth, 3 mosasaur (except if that smaller round one is not a mosasaur tooth), 1 unidentified fish tooth, and 59 belimnites. Here's some photos of everything we found today.

IMG_7592.JPG

IMG_7596.JPG

IMG_7595.JPG

IMG_7594.JPG

IMG_7593.JPG

IMG_7597.JPG

IMG_7599.JPG

IMG_7600.JPG

Wow! You guys did great! The object in the last 2 pics is a Sawfish rostrum. Good job!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Looks like those shifters worked out pretty good.  You did well.

Nice Finds. The first GW in the 3rd picture looks to me as possibly notched and used by Indians as a spear or arrow point. Have seen some from the Calvert cliffs that also appear as notched for Indian use. Since not found "in situ" in an Indian site can't be certain but consider that as a possibility. That would really make it a special tooth.

Very nice! The GWs are great, and those crows look really nice. Strange to be able to find them in the same place!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

@fossilnut I never considered that! I know that there have been arrowheads and other artifacts found around the area. If that tooth were in fact notched for arrowhead or spear use it would be by far my most unique find yet!

@ynot Maybeeee... :hearty-laugh:We actually found a place a little off the beaten path that produced some of the larger meg chunks. Going to check it out further the next time I go.

On 6/19/2018 at 6:38 AM, SerratedTeeth said:

Going to check it out further the next time I go.

Good luck on the hunt! (And post pictures!)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Great finds. (<)1,000 teeth from a single hunt is very impressive :D 
What's your favorite tooth? I like your squalicorax teeth the most. :)
Too bad I could not make it to Summerville, haha. I'll be going in August, and when I do... I hope to have such luck!
FS

12 minutes ago, FossilSniper said:

What's your favorite tooth?

For sure the larger Great White. I’ve never found one that size and in that condition before. The Mosasaur definitely comes in a very close second! 

Archived