Megalodon Teeth

lispav

Hi,  I am planning a trip to America and my 8yo son is megalodon tooth crazy ... where is the best place to go to search for them? I've heard South Carolina.  Anything more specific?  Does anyone have any advice please. It's a long trip for us and really want to make it worth his while!  Thanks so much! 

Welcome to the Forum. :)

There are a few links here that may be of some help. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Howdy, there are several great spots in North and South Carolina. Make sure you visit the Aurora Fossil Museum, they have a great collection on Megalodon and you can learn quite a bit about the shark and the waters it hunted in.

I live in Florida and have found many small fossilized shark teeth at these beaches: Manasota Key Beach, Englewood Beach and Casey Key. Venice is known as the "Shark Tooth Capital of the World". They dive for the big ones and hunting is always good after a storm. Hope this helps. Happy Hunting! :meg:

You could try your hand at any of the places along the Calvert Cliffs in Maryland, I personally would recommend Brownies Beach.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

There have been some excellent recommendations, but I have a little concern - just guessing about the expectations of an 8 year old. I would not wish disappointment. The "big" (4" or better) teeth are most often recovered in SC by SCUBA in the Low-country rivers. Ocean diving off the coast of NC also yields whoppers. Of course it is possible for a large tooth to show up in a land deposit, but the odds are not favorable.

I guess I'm saying, if your son's concept of Meg tooth hunting centers around finding a 5 or 6 incher, that's probably not going to happen. Fossil shark teeth can certainly be found; but raking in the "big ones" with any degree of certainty is best accomplished by sophisticated divers.

Perhaps at age 8 he is already more pragmatic and he would be delighted by any fossil discovery. If you search the Fossil Forum concentrating on the locations mentioned above, you will find numerous posts showing collectors results from an outing. In that way, you may get some idea of what outcomes are possible.   

Edit: I just looked at the links provided above by Fossildude19. They should be a great resource for you to see what a guided experience may yield. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

My question is, where in America were you planning on going? Or is this specifically for the fossils?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Archived