Goblin or something else?

sharko69

Reminds me of odantaspis winkleri. Nice tooth, pretty old too!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

37 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Reminds me of odantaspis winkleri. Nice tooth, pretty old too!

I was thinking sand tiger as well, but have never found one in Texas.

46 minutes ago, sharko69 said:

I was thinking sand tiger as well, but have never found one in Texas.

That's a great find.  It's a sand tiger and it's got to be one of the oldest ones I've ever seen from Texas.

I've seen teeth that look younger than Albian from the Waco site (Scapanorhynchus and rather large Ptychodus) and teeth that look that old (Leptostyrax).  Are there two different layers exposed?  I've received a couple of teeth from a site called "the pit" and a couple from "the lake."  It's confusing because I've seen the Del Rio Clay as definitely Albian, even if Late Albian but older than the Buda.  I've also seen illustrated as defintely Early Cenomanian.  Whether Late Albian or Early Cenomanian, that's an old sand tiger.

Jess

1 hour ago, siteseer said:

That's a great find.  It's a sand tiger and it's got to be one of the oldest ones I've ever seen from Texas.

I've seen teeth that look younger than Albian from the Waco site (Scapanorhynchus and rather large Ptychodus) and teeth that look that old (Leptostyrax).  Are there two different layers exposed?  I've received a couple of teeth from a site called "the pit" and a couple from "the lake."  It's confusing because I've seen the Del Rio Clay as definitely Albian, even if Late Albian but older than the Buda.  I've also seen illustrated as defintely Early Cenomanian.  Whether Late Albian or Early Cenomanian, that's an old sand tiger.

Jess

This tooth is indeed from “the pit”. Thank you. I have never found a sand tiger in Texas. Any ideas on species?

8 hours ago, sharko69 said:

This tooth is indeed from “the pit”. Thank you. I have never found a sand tiger in Texas. Any ideas on species?

I'm thinking something like that is undescribed but i would look for references on Albian sharks from Kansas, England, France, and Russia.  I know it's not Carcharias striatula because it lacks short vertical folds at the base of the labial face.  Your tooth looks to be about the size of a large anterior tooth.  What's the size - about 12mm?

Jess

1 hour ago, siteseer said:

I'm thinking something like that is undescribed but i would look for references on Albian sharks from Kansas, England, France, and Russia.  I know it's not Carcharias striatula because it lacks short vertical folds at the base of the labial face.  Your tooth looks to be about the size of a large anterior tooth.  What's the size - about 12mm?

Jess

1cm

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2018 at 10:37 AM, sharko69 said:

Found this tooth at Waco site. Del Rio formation, Albian.

5F783868-FEBD-40A6-9D14-BED9B99F0498.jpeg

02431B46-7D57-456D-BDA4-18500A9E2280.jpeg

DFDB2285-3932-4D3A-ABC3-DD9CB56AE8B5.jpeg

I have a few that I have collected from that site.  I have them identified as Leptostyrax macrohiza.  If that's wrong then I am happy to find out what they are.  Some of the Leptostyrax m. that I have the tooth does curve a bit.

• I found this Informative 1

I think it is Eostriatolamia cf. subulata (77-83), compare to original specimens of Dalinkevicius, 1935, especially 81 from Albian of Lithuania

*very similar 74a is described as Scapanorhynchus raphiodon, but it is most likely another E. subulata

image.png.856ddcc7d40832041c16378f201bd0be.png

• I found this Informative 2

The Tooth Fairy