Triceratops Tooth

I feel silly posting a $20 tooth for opinions, but I guess lately it seems like I should be careful on all things fossil.

Here's a Trike tooth that I think is an alright starter.  The crown seems to have a little less than average wear, and there's part of a root showing, though it's a browner color than the rest of the tooth.  Not sure if that matters or not, but I know I've seen that mentioned before in cases of other fossils.  A nice tooth, or a bad trap?

Thanks everyone!

s-l16001.jpg

s-l16002.jpg

s-l16003.jpg

Edited by avenger

looks genuine and not too bad tome.  It is common for the root to be brown while the crown is black.  Isolated teeth, though, can only be labeled as 'Ceratopsian' since Triceratops and Torosaurus occur in the same beds and their teeth are identical.  

• I found this Informative 5

37 minutes ago, jpc said:

looks genuine and not too bad tome.  It is common for the root to be brown while the crown is black.  Isolated teeth, though, can only be labeled as 'Ceratopsian' since Triceratops and Torosaurus occur in the same beds and their teeth are identical.  

I was just typing the same reply. Your to quick for me:) for $20 is a very  good price.

• I found this Informative 2

I didn't know that.  Ceratopsian it is then! :) Torosaurus would be pretty cool too.  Thanks for the info and opinion!

2 minutes ago, avenger said:

I didn't know that.  Ceratopsian it is then! :) Torosaurus would be pretty cool too.  Thanks for the info and opinion!

Yeah I agree with you they are cool critters indeed and I really love my Ceratopsian teeth. Make sure you know where it is from for future records. All the best Bobby 

1 minute ago, Bobby Rico said:

Yeah I agree with you they are cool critters indeed and I really love my Ceratopsian teeth. Make sure you know where it is from for future records. All the best Bobby 

Thanks!  Seller said it was from Hell Creek Formation of Carter County, Montana, from private land they had been granted permission to collect from.

Never feel silly posting its getting it right what counts.  Thats a super value for that tooth.

Carter County is Hell Creek country.

• I found this Informative 4

Thanks everyone.  This one will soon be on its way to Missouri.  I appreciate the help!

It took me a while to get my head around what is what on these Ceratopsian teeth.  But, it was an interesting read learning how unique they are in terms of their function, and what their use cycle was before being shed.  I always imagined their teeth resembling cattle, and it certainly was an interesting discovery how wrong I was.  I certainly wouldn't want to get bit by one.