What is the best place to buy fossils?

Wolf89

What is the best place to buy fossils that is cheap, but still quality? I have little money and cant buy expensive things as my mom doesn't understand the passion I have for fossils (I'm 13). It's not easy growing your collection when the only place near you only has really worn up sharks teeth and you only go thrice a year. 

Thanks

• I found this Informative 1

Hi I don’t know the best place to buy fossils is but I think what is good practice is before you spend you money post your finds on TFF and ask for advice. Just in case there is something not right with the purchase. I always try and learn as much as possible before I purchases anything as most members do. Good luck all the best Bobby 

• I found this Informative 4
  • I Agree 1

Just a thought you can get a real bargain from the  auctions to help the forum .:dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

I will PM you an online dealer, member of this forum who is a good honest seller at fair prices. 

• I found this Informative 4

Hi there! Yes I was once in the same boat as you, my parents couldn't understand this passion. But after a good while they began to like it too, really if you just keep talking about it they will listen eventually. :D 

im not very knowledgeable of all the sellers in the world, and how their prices might be, but if you do some research you'll find some good sites. Plus before you purchase anything you should always post it here first because there's nothing worse than spending your hard earned $ on a fake or falsely advertised fossil. :( 

34 minutes ago, ynot said:

I think that the fossil Forum"s "auctions to benefit the forum" is the best place to get a great deal on purchasing fossils.:faint::thumbsu:

Most Informative Post Ever!

• I Agree 1

...I'm back.

Hey Wolf, what type of fossils are you interested in?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Consider joining a local paleontological society and go on some collecting trips. They often carpool to sites. Maybe a local North Carolina resident can suggest a club. Fossils that you collect yourself are always more worthwhile than ones that you purchase.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Yeah, what do you want?  We can give you a better idea of places to buy, though we will probably have to PM you.

Finding fossils yourself is tons of fun... I recommend it!

but there is some neat stuff you just can't find yourself, so there is no harm in buying too!

I have some fossils I can’t display  and don’t mind sending some to an aspiring young collector such as yourself if your parents are ok with you PMing me your name and address.  All I’d ask is that you pick at least one fossil for regifting.  Generosity can be a fun habit.

• Enjoyed 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

18 hours ago, caldigger said:

Hey Wolf, what type of fossils are you interested in?

4 hours ago, aplomado said:

Yeah, what do you want?  We can give you a better idea of places to buy, though we will probably have to PM you.

but there is some neat stuff you just can't find yourself, so there is no harm in buying too!

2 hours ago, Nimravis said:

As @caldigger asked, what type of fossils are you interested in? Some members may have some spare fossils that they can send you.

I'm interested in almost anything, though I prefer vertebrates.

2 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

I have some fossils I can’t display  and don’t mind sending some to an aspiring young collector such as yourself if your parents are ok with you PMing me your name and address.  All I’d ask is that you pick at least one fossil for regifting.  Generosity can be a fun habit.

That would be great though I'm not sure I have anything good enough to gift. As of now, my collection is 90% sharks teeth with only one meg.

4 hours ago, aplomado said:

Yeah finding them is much more enjoyable, but not a whole lot of spots around me that are not sharks teeth (which I love though)

1 hour ago, Wolf52893 said:

That would be great though I'm not sure I have anything good enough to gift. As of now, my collection is 90% sharks teeth with only one meg.

I think the refuting part might be referred to being one that is being sent to you.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

17 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I think the refuting part might be referred to being one that is being sent to you.

oh

3 hours ago, Wolf52893 said:

No worries.  I meant I'll send you enough Texas stuff for you to give some away to whomever you see fit.  Maybe a buddy, family member, etc.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

3 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

No worries.  I meant I'll send you enough Texas stuff for you to give some away to whomever you see fit.  Maybe a buddy, family member, etc.

OK I will PM my address to you

Be persistent and consistent in searching the online auction sites. Lots of garbage and lots of fakes but you do find a real treasure at a steal of a price every now and then! Be sure to post things from those sites on here before you buy them to get everyone’s opinion on their authenticity. 

Google gem and Mineral shows in your area too. You can bring your parents to maybe get them interested and you will meet a lot of knowledgeable people and make connections that could lead you to what you’re looking for. 

• 2 years later...

Anyone wishing to let this member know about websites should PM that member with the information.

We do not allow posting of links or suggestions of commercial dealers on the Forum. 

Thanks.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 locked this topic