Wolf89

I will be in Idaho Falls in August,  what are some good spots for fossils within an hour or so?

This looks like a good few sites, though I don’t know geographically where they are situated. Note the permitting needed, and you should familiarize yourself with all the rules of the various sites.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I'm not trying to be a partypooper, but here I go.  None of those are near Idaho Falls.  And they suggest Hagerman fossil beds... a National Monument.  Collecting strictly not allowed.  Also that site says that fossils are 'archaeologically important".  No they're not, they are paleontologically important.  Archaeologists don't care abut fossils.  

Just saying... be careful what you read on the internet.  

I don't know of any easily accessible sites near IF.  The University in Pocatello has a museum.  I have never been, but you might want to talk your parents into it (I saw on anther post that you are 13 yrs old, so I am assuming you are going to ID with your parents).  

• I found this Informative 1

If you take Highway 91 south of Idaho Falls about ten minutes, just south of the tiny town of Firth there is Wolverine Road that leaves the highway and goes into the Wolverine Canyon area of the Blackfoot Mountains. All of the limestone cliffs and rubble in this canyon are full of fossil coral from the Mississippian age, roughly 350 million years old. There are also gastropods and brachiopods, though they are harder to find.

• I found this Informative 4

16 minutes ago, Wayan Man said:

If you take Highway 91 south of Idaho Falls about ten minutes, just south of the tiny town of Firth there is Wolverine Road that leaves the highway and goes into the Wolverine Canyon area of the Blackfoot Mountains. All of the limestone cliffs and rubble in this canyon are full of fossil coral from the Mississippian age, roughly 350 million years old. There are also gastropods and brachiopods, though they are harder to find.

Will check it out thanks

9 hours ago, jpc said:

I'm not trying to be a partypooper, but here I go.  None of those are near Idaho Falls.  And they suggest Hagerman fossil beds... a National Monument.  Collecting strictly not allowed.  Also that site says that fossils are 'archaeologically important".  No they're not, they are paleontologically important.  Archaeologists don't care abut fossils.  

Just saying... be careful what you read on the internet.  

I don't know of any easily accessible sites near IF.  The University in Pocatello has a museum.  I have never been, but you might want to talk your parents into it (I saw on anther post that you are 13 yrs old, so I am assuming you are going to ID with your parents).  

I will check it out thanks. You guys know too much about me :ighappy:

10 hours ago, jpc said:

that site says that fossils are 'archaeologically important".  No they're not, they are paleontologically important.  Archaeologists don't care abut fossils.  

Some places lump them together. To some government officials, they are all “antiquities.” 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

We only know what you tell us! 

I don't know if your parents are willing to drive you around looking for fossils but here's a LINK to the Idaho section of my pdf library here on The Fossil Forum.  You might find a few articles of interest there.  Just scroll down until you hit the articles for Idaho.

-Joe

• I found this Informative 3

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Some places lump them together. To some government officials, they are all “antiquities.” 

yeah, I know and this is my little bit to educate maybe a few newbies in this here forum.